Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Poms

Author Topic: Poms
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-30-2019 02:29 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A woman moves to a retirement community and starts a cheer leading team with the other old ladies.

For something that's billed as a comedy it really doesn't have a lot of funny stuff in it. Some of it is a comedy but parts of it are really rather depressing. The story and the ending is entirely predictable of course.

It's a movie that's made for old ladies and it's billed as being similar to Book Club, which is also made for old ladies but I think it's a much better movie than Poms.

Poms is not a bad movie but it's not a particularly great one either.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2019 11:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be curious how that does for you. Our booker talked me out of it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-30-2019 11:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be finding out starting tomorrow night.

I asked for this one because there's no shortage of old ladies around here. If I can get the right movie it's like someone left the gate open on the old folks home.

I've already had several old ladies tell me that they're coming with their friends. [Smile]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-01-2019 10:41 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guarantee the retirement village where my mom lives is waiting with bated breath for it on DVD movie night.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2019 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Let us know how it does.

Mike

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-06-2019 11:20 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a second-tier movie it did very well. It wasn't a Titanic or Endgame, but it did at leastd as well as anything else that I could have been playing this week.

Almost nobody came on the weekend, but Monday through Thursday had all of the old ladies walking in the door.

Most nights there were either zero or just one man in the audience. Other than that, old ladies only. There weren't more than three people who came to see it that were under about 60 years old. But everyone said that they thought it was a wonderful movie on their way out, so it worked out well that way too.

I did have one of the old ladies come in tonight and when I told her the price of the ticket she said, "It's Godzilla tonight, right?" No, that starts tomorrow night. "Oh. Well, I'll just come back tomorrow night then." And off she went. I guess I'll see her tomorrow. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: