Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Avengers: Endgame

Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame
Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2019 06:52 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like Avengers: Infinity War. Some found its ending brave, but I found it to be a cheat, because none of what happened was going to stick. But, I held out hope that perhaps it would be a better movie once the second part was told, and that's what brings us all to Avengers: Endgame.

Fortunately for all of us viewers, Endgame does a pretty decent job of digging the MCU out of the hole it was in after Infinity War. The first scene was better than most of the entire movie that preceded it.

While some contortions have to made in order to do that digging, I can't think of any other way they could have done it. The hole was just too deep. The final battle does suffer from a deus ex machina moment, but it fortunately doesn't end there, and the resolution is actually quite well-done.

When the credits roll, it leaves the viewer with some character arcs complete, with others just beginning, or at least changing direction.

If you're a big fan, you've probably already seen the movie. If you're a casual fan, wondering whether to see it in the theater or wait for the home video release, I have to say that this is a movie that deserves the best viewing environment possible. The visuals are very good, and the sound is incredible. If you don't have your insides rattled about, the theater didn't do its job, and you should complain to the manager. Seeing this movie on a flat-screen TV with a soundbar is just not going to be the same experience.

Will I watch this again? Probably. I might even buy it. That's more than can be said for Infinity War, though. While this movie redeemed the Avengers storyline overall, I still have no desire to see that movie again, even with its conclusion as a known quantity.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-27-2019 10:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never watched Infinity War, but I did watch Captain Marvel and then this one today. I knew enough of the lead-in story to make sense of most of the proceedings, although a few scenes here and there felt like they had to shoehorn people in just to get them all to fit.

I'm amazed at the emotional attachment people are having to this movie. Some come out with tears down their faces.

Usually I can't make heads or tails out of most Marvel movies but this one held my interest, even though I wasn't totally sure what's going on parts of the time. Plus the sound was awesome. So I'll give it 3 out of 4 stars. Might have been another half star if it had more Chris Pratt in it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-28-2019 05:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The room I've watched this in was packed, almost to the brim. The theater clearly wasn't prepared to the crowds this would draw, as they had sold out almost all of their concessions only halfway through the evening.

The location was CineStar Düsseldorf in Germany. I've been there before and the performance was usually OK. It's a standard, 13 in a dozen multiplex, but they show movies in their original version, which is already pretty special for a big multiplex in Germany, where most theaters show the dubbed version. (And yes, I hate dubbed versions, even for movies where I don't speak the languages involved.)

We had some prime seats in the room, but we had to give them up, because there was some water leaking through the air conditioning vents. It was just a drop or two every odd minute, but since you didn't know where the water was coming from, we didn't want to take the risk.

The way the situation was handled was less than stellar though. We had to find our own new seats, only to be chased away again and again, because those who booked them, tended to show up a while later. This was not our choice, this was the official "plan" from the management. The whole experience was extremely frustrating, to the point that we almost walked away. Not giving any kind of compensation for such a bad show is also pretty abysmal service level. Eventually, we found a bunch of seats almost in front of the silver screen, reflecting all kinds of "goodness" from that rather odd angle...

What they should've done was to stop selling tickets to this show, get somebody with a tablet or printout with the seat reservations and assigning new, unassigned seats to those in the affected area. Seemingly, you need a half functioning brain for such a master-plan... Heck, even I could open the seat reservation site on their website on my mobile phone, that's how we eventually found those empty seats anyway...

Also, this whole water-leak episode postponed the start of the show for about 15 minutes. Maybe, just as a matter of courtesy, you could've skipped the commercials? Or... the stupid "Ice Cream Break", where they put on a slide of ice cream commercials for 5 minutes for stuff that was completely sold out anyway...

After my rant about yet another failed theater visit (guys, you really need to step up a notch, this is costing you repeat visitors), let's get back to the movie itself. [Wink]

I've never been committed to the current Marvel universe, though most of the movies have been good for the industry, as in they've sold a lot of tickets, which is still one of the most important measures. With this movie signaling somewhat of an end for the current Marvel universe, I hope for a fresh start that doesn't involve any reboot in the following 20 or so years...

To be honest, I expected to be bored a lot more than that I ended up to be. With the rather extreme running time of this movie, what kind of compelling story could you tell that wasn't already told in this universe? Yet, I ended up being mostly entertained, although a lot of this was eventually nothing more than a big accumulation of flashbacks, engineered to push some sentimental buttons.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

It remains interesting to see how well trained those Marvel movie-goers are. I guess that almost 80% of the room stayed to see if there is something worthwhile after the credits.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-28-2019 09:41 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 14, SEAT: H13
PRESENTATION: Megaplex Recline-o-Vision with butt warmers and Texas Instruments DLP Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Dark picture
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Iron Man is lost in space. DANGER IRON MAN! Wackiness ensues.

God, this thing goes on forever. It just goes and goes and goes some more. Just like Infinity War. But at least it’s more fun and has a real ending. Oh, and an actual war.

For the core Marvel geeks, this movie is like the greatest multiple orgasm sex ever. For the rest of us, it’s understandable, often fun, sometimes touching, sometimes showing blatant plot holes, but you won’t be mad you came. You probably won’t want to sit through it again though.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2019 08:50 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the new 'Avengers' movie at the Seattle Cinerama Theatre this past Sunday 4/28 for a sold out show at 7PM.
Now that the owner has passed on Paul Allen the place is starting to go down hill fast. No manager was on duty!
Coming into the large semi curved screen they had the curtains open with 1.85 masking and a slide of Prince with two other policy images and playing some of the worst rock music sound way to loud (not Prince)
This would never of taken place even with the former manager Greg If he was still there or If Paul was around.
When It came time for the 'Avengers' and pre show previews to roll they did close the curtains and adjust the masking to scope and turned off the rock music finally and to my shock did open the curtains correct with the movie shown on the curtains then open the drapes. They spent all this money a few years ago to remodel the Seattle Cinerama but forgot to put nice color LED's on the curtains. The drapes just sit in the dark.
The whole new 'Avengers' movie for me was way to long. Things did improve the last 38 minutes when It seems everyone showed up to be in the last film.
The guy next to me went crazy with emotion with his hands and crying, he was not the only one.
I liked some parts but am not a big fan of the 'Avengers'.
One of the reasons I did attend was to see what the Avengers looked and sounded like at the large classic Seattle Cinerama Theatre.
Shown on the fake curved Cinerama screen that is put in front of the true curved Cinerama screen It was nice and clear with great color with no distortion on the sides. I have heard better Dolby Atmos® here in Seattle at the Cinerama but my seats were on the far left side.
One thing the Cinerama crew needs to do is open the doors early so everyone can buy things to eat and not be rushed in long lines.
I was told the doors would open at 6 15 PM with a 7 PM start time. The main doors did not open till 6 30 PM and the staff was just sitting in the lobby as they had cleaned out the trash 30 minutes before from the 2:30 PM showing. Real class bringing out the garbage bags and carts when everyone is waiting out side the front door in a long line to get in. Many film goers never saw the previews or first 5 minutes of Avengers as they were still in the popcorn drink lines. The film trailers started at 7:03 PM.
If you are a theatre owner buy plenty of food & drink items if you are showing this new film, don't run out like I have heard on this first weekend as many Bay Area cinemas have.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2019 10:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was quite a bit busier than I thought it would be. We did run out of one item....lemonade, but we have that coming in tomorrow so we've only been out of it for 2 days.

We usually open 15 minutes before showtime, or 30 minutes on a new movie. For this one, we still advertised 30 minutes, but we actually opened about 35 to 40 minutes early. This gave the people waiting outside a bit of a thrill when we opened unexpectedly, and we were able to get started on time all weekend. We did run 2 more trailers than usual (6 instead of 4) to buy a little extra concession sales time. But we still had about 99% of people seated when the feature started.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-17-2019 01:34 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my regular customers (he comes to about 80% of the movies that I play here) is the only person that I know of who's ever noticed that I amuse myself by inventing connections between the music that I play before/after the show and the content of the movie. A few years ago he noticed a connection that I can't remember right now and asked me if it was deliberate. I said, "Of course", and ever since he has made a game out of trying to figure out the connection between the movie and the music. If there is one. Sometimes I just play random stuff when I can't think of anything particularly clever and after being in the auditorium for a while before the show he'll eventually come out to ask me if there's a "theme" for this week's movie and when I tell him it's just random this week he always says, "You're evil, Frank, just evil". [Smile]

He's gotten pretty good at it. He even figured out why I played 70's music for Poms. (The music is from the 70's, the stars are all in their 70's. Yeah, I know it's silly but as I've said before, I amuse myself with this stuff.)

Anyway, this week I'm playing a CD set called "The War Years: Big Band Era" with Avengers Endgame. After a while he came out and asked me if I had a theme this week and I said that I do. "But you'll have to wait until the end of the movie to figure this one out."

A few minutes before I started the show he came out and said, "They go back in time to the 40's at the end of the show."

[eyes]

I told him that he'll have to wait until the end of the show to find out.

On his way out he said, "And so I've beat you again!"

He's still the only person who's ever noticed that I do this sort of thing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: