Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » US (2019)

Author Topic: US (2019)
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2019 10:22 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw US this afternoon at Harkins Northfield in the Cine Capri auditorium.

I went in not knowing too much about it, but I was a little worried my expectations might be too high, based on all they hype. I still loved it.

There are aspects that aren't fully explained, and may not make complete sense, but it delivers. I cared about the characters, was frightened and intrigued and surprised. Recommended for horror fans. Is Peele the new Carpenter?

Earlier this week, Harkins wasn't listing anything in their Cine Capri auditorium. I asked about this, and they explained that they had upgraded to a 4k laser projector. I was a little bummed out that they weren't promoting that fact, until I watched the movie, and realized that I really couldn't tell a difference from their previous projector, which was (I'm told) a standard 4k projector. At any rate, the picture and sound were solid.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2019 09:34 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Geoff for your feedback on the new movie US.
I was in Santa Cruz CA last fall when they were shooting the movie.
I hope the 3 theatres in the Santa Cruz area the Regal 9 SC downtown along with the CineLux 41st Ave in Capitola along with the Cinelux Scotts Valley put up on their outdoor marquee FILMED IN SANTA CRUZ.
Glad you enjoyed the new horror film.
I have a question about the screen at the Cine Capri, does It have much of a curve to It? I think It does have curtains.
The original main one that they tore down had a D-150 deep curve to It.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2019 10:18 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
I have a question about the screen at the Cine Capri, does It have much of a curve to It? I think It does have curtains.
The screen has a mild curve.

There are curtains. Right before the feature starts, the curtains close and re-open on a "Cine Capri" trailer, which has a fairly nice effect. Unfortunately, you've been sitting there watching lame pre-show commercials and featurettes up to that point, so it isn't nearly as impactful as it should be.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-29-2019 08:29 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK maybe I was expecting too much from a movie so over hyped and endlessly over analyzed.
US has more plot holes than Sharknado and every surprise was, well, not a surprise.
Suspension of disbelief ... not at all.
Waste of my time and money. Probably not a waste of the studio's money, US is likely to turn a profit even after the "creative accounting" they use.
Thumb down. Zero stars.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-29-2019 07:39 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East 20, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 5, SEAT: C6
PRESENTATION: Regal Orange is the New Crown Roller Coaster Recline-o-Vision with Butt Warmers
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Non-functioning butt warmers
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A girl wanders off. Wackiness ensues.

The big problem with this feature is that it’s waaay too long. But at the same time, I don’t know what I would have cut out.

It’s more original than the Stepford Wives reboot that was Get Out and nearly (not quite) as well done.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2019 10:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not to toot my own horn here, but I saw that twist coming a mile away.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: