Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2019 10:49 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom at Harkins Northfield last night as part of their "Tuesday Night Classics" series. Thanks (at least in part) to persistent nagging from yours truly, Harkins has moved some of their TNC showings into their large "Cine Capri" and "Cine1" auditoriums.

The digital image looked great on the 70-foot-wide screen. I sat in the center of the fifth row and saw minor stair-stepping on the opening titles and credits, but that was the only time I noticed anything negative related to digital projection. The image was steady, sharp, and bright. I noticed a few new details like the red "heat burns" on Willie's chest and face after she was freed from Kali Ma's cage.

The audio was a tad on the shrill side, but generally pretty good. Stereo separation was robust and bass was decent.

The film holds up well if you accept it as an over-the-top "theatrical" entry to the series. It's delightfully dark and never slows down. Seeing it again further cemented its place as the second-best film in the trilogy, after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

There were roughly three dozen people in attendance, which was disappointing. However, although I didn't peek into any other auditoriums, but I'd bet good money that none of them had larger crowds. This location doesn't have assigned seating, but I looked at the online seating charts for Harkins' Cine Capri and Cine1 auditoriums that do, and most of them showed large crowds (70%+). I hope Harkins keeps their classic films on the largest screens whenever possible.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: