Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Wandering Earth (2019)

Author Topic: The Wandering Earth (2019)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2019 07:12 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Mandarin with English subtitles at the AMC Metreon Theaters, San Francisco, California.

Some years from now, the residents of Earth realize that the planet is soon going to be vaporized by a Sun that’s expanding faster than anticipated. The solution is to (get this) build 10,000 rocket engines in the southern hemisphere and along the equator, which will blast us out of orbit and, 2500 years later, put us in Alpha Centauri near a better class of star. It all goes well for a while, but after seventeen years a series of earthquakes knocks out a bunch of the engines, causing the planet to go on a collision course with Jupiter. So it’s up to an intrepid band of teenagers . . .

This movie is being hyped as the first serious attempt by China to make a major science fiction epic (as opposed, I guess, to the first half-assed attempt by China to make a major science fiction epic). They certainly spent a bunch of yuans on it and it’s all there on the screen, the special effects are top notch, at least the equal of anything US studios are doing. But the movie . . . meh. The plot is so preposterous that it’s hard to get into from the get-go and it’s so fast and loud that it becomes unnerving, while the relentless shaky-cam photography doesn’t help either. The subtitles go by really fast as well, and they are in not particularly good English, so I missed a bit there. There’s a teeny bit of communist dogma mixed in with the dialog, but it goes by quick. It was interesting seeing the film with a predominately Chinese audience, scenes that I thought were deadly serious wound up getting gales of laughter. Go figure.

Didn’t love it or hate it, but it was a reasonable entertainment for two hours on a rainy afternoon.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-16-2019 09:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
build 10,000 rocket engines in the southern hemisphere and along the equator, which will blast us out of orbit
Futurama already did it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-16-2019 10:51 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Space 1999
Same idea with the moon. (A TV series that I quite enjoyed, actually.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: