Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Vice

Author Topic: Vice
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-24-2018 09:07 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Springfield Town Center 12, Springfield, VA
Theater 8
Recliner puffy chairs. Note to self, don't sit in the handicap seats in this theatre as they light the crosswalk so bright during the movie you can read.
Sound very harsh during the trailers, but movie is not so loud, so tolerable.

Impossible to discuss the movie without violating the No Politics rule.

An unmitigated propaganda F**K You film - and I mean that in a good way. Several gut bust funny scenes. No one in the film is close to likable except the narrator, and that's all I can say about him without a spoiler alert. Most of the negative reviews are on target correct about what a superficial mess it is, but who really wants to sit through a serious, thoughtful, in-depth examination of Dick Cheney?

Given that it is written and directed by the same guy who did The Big Short, it really should have been called The Big Dick. And if you didn't like The Big Short's filmmaking style, you won't like this.

All of the actors do amazing reproductions of the real characters.

Check it out and possibly come away pissed off.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2018 10:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After just seeing the trailer for this movie I'm thinking Christian Bale is currently the ultimate method actor. The dude got positively jacked beyond all belief for American Psycho but then went up and down for other roles. People on the set of The Dark Knight jokingly called him "Fat Man." But, holy cow, he deliberately put on a shit ton of blubber to play Dick Cheney. If I did that shit on my own, either deliberately or out of sheer neglect, I think I would keel over from a massive heart attack.

Yeah, the movie is definitely getting very mixed reviews. But I still kind of expect Christian Bale to get some serious award nominations for his performance.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-02-2019 06:50 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Village Square, Las Vegas, NV
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Regal Roller Coaster Vision in an Act III Stadium Riser auditorium with the original seats
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Image was a bit dark
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

I walk up to the box office to purchase a ticket from a real ticket seller like it’s 1953 or something. Except the part where I hand her my Crown Club card.

“Would you like to use your points for a free ticket?” she asks.

“Sure!” I reply.

She hands me this thing that’s the size of three tickets. I walk inside and hand it to the ticket taker.

“This isn’t a ticket,” he says. “It’s just a receipt.”

“Well that’s what she gave me.”

“Go back and ask her for the ticket.”

I do. “But I gave you the ticket,” she replies. “You must have dropped it.”

If she gave me another piece of paper, I didn’t notice. There’s nothing on the ground. She’s disappeared. She re-appears. “Go see the manager.”

I go back in. The manager is there, holding my ticket, which apparently I dropped RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TICKET TAKER, who said nothing but sent me back outside. They all laugh at me and I go to my movie. This is the experience I’m paying for? Wait...no. No I’m not. I didn’t pay a dime.

THE PLOT: A drunk’s wife tells him to get his shit together. Wackiness ensues.

Simply put, it’s a shameless one-sided political hit piece. The film makers even have a copout to it’s accuracy with an opening disclaimer that ends with “We tried our fucking best”. Still, as one-sided political hit pieces go, it’s a pretty good one. It’s biggest issue is overstaying its welcome. No one at this screening thought anything was funny at all.

Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, and Amy Adams do a fine job made up as their respective characters, but you still recognize them as Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, and Amy Adams. But Christian Bale? Holy crap.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2019 02:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this movie felt gimicky to me - great performances but the filmmaking style was just too grating and 'ew, look at me' [eye roll]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: