Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » BumbleBee (2018)

Author Topic: BumbleBee (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-09-2018 12:20 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 19, SEAT: D8
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP with standard stadium seating
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Screaming baby
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Let's pretend Michael Bay never happened. Wackiness ensues.

So apparently they're doing an "early access screening event" for this, which I stumbled upon completely by accident the other day and thought "Why not." So here I am, sitting in a house with traditional seats packed to the rafters, next to a massive huge guy whose arm takes up our entire shared arm rest and part of my seat space too. Thankfully, my other seat neighbor is a small kid who doesn't take up much space at all.

Remember the low budget action flicks of the eighties where high stakes things happened and kids inexplicably broke into military installations and saved the day? This is EXACTLY one of those. Maybe not even as well done. It couldn't hold a candle to "Wargames". It's not even on the level of Bay's first Transformers movie.

But the kids...the little kids...ate this up. They LOVED it. Teens? I don't think so. Adults? Hey...you can make a drinking game out of spotting the wide open plot holes. You'll be so smashed by the end you'll need a cab to get home.

There were no trailers. There was a brief "Making Of" feature, and a plea by bad guy John Cena to "tell your friends if you really like it." There was also a promise of another "making of" feature after the credits, but I didn't stick around.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-10-2019 10:55 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to.

Plot holes? Who cares about plot holes. For this movie, the style is the important thing and it's an 80's style sci fi actioner -- why worry about plausibility when you can have a kid saving the universe from her garage?

I'm not a particular fan of the whole Transformers thing, but I think Bumblebee is pretty darn good.

It's fun and it's silly; there's lots of action and it even has some mean girls in it to pick on the heroine. What's not to like?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-10-2019 01:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it as loud and bombastic as the other Transformers movies? From the trailers it seems to have more humor and less frantic action...?

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2019 07:42 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's visually frenetic because the graphical style changes rapidly at times, and less from action/camera motion (not that there's a lack of either). It's a bit much but (in my opinion) not the mindless drubbing we were subjected to by the latter Transformers.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-10-2019 09:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Bumblebee has it's moments where it's just loud fight sequences. But it is a much smaller story than the previous Transformers, and the robot fight sequences are a much smaller part of the movie. I have hated every Transformers movie since the first one, but I really enjoyed Bumblebee.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2019 04:50 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<derp>
Sorry, I posted above in the wrong topic!!! Way to go, Bill...
</derp>

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2019 03:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this with the whole family last night. Cussing and a particular few of bits of violence are why this is PG-13, which is to say, this at its heart is a kids movie (older kids) but won't bore the parents. It's a mild PG-13.

And Mike's opinion is exactly like ours. There are some frenetic sequences, but overall the movie's plot, tone, and action sequences are all superior to the original Michael Bay series.

Interesting that Travis Knight brought this Bumblebee to life, whose previous successes include breathing life into lifeless stop-motion objects in ParaNorman and Kubo and the Two Strings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: