Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Green Book (2018)

Author Topic: Green Book (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-08-2018 11:49 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 4, SEAT: E8
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP in standard stadium seating
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Lower tier converted to Recline-o-Vision with a split center aisle, which old people kept using for pee breaks during the feature, walking into the line of sight of everyone in the upper tier (now known as the "cheap seats")
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: The world is a complicated place. Wackiness ensues.

If you're expecting a high tension race drama political piece, forget it. While it has its moments, it's actually more of a comedy budding bromance. Lots of laughs and way more fun than you're expecting.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 11:42 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of the stars of this 'Green Book' movie will do very well around Academy Award time.
We liked the movie and the music used of that time.
Strange many trade mags have this filmed in 2.35 scope but at both cinemas we have seen It in was projected at flat 1.85.
A friend of mine from the Detroit area (RC) told me he is confused about something in the movie that does not seem right. A jade rock was stolen and picked up on the ground at a gas station but returned to the pile of them for sale,tossed back into the for sale bin. Way later on in the film this same blue/green rock stone shows up again?
This has been a word of mouth movie as many senior people are going to see It after their friends have told them how great this true story is.
Don't be surprised If It takes best movie and best actor at the Oscars coming up.
We watched 'Green Book' on the large single curved screen Century Cinema in Cort Madera Ca in Marin when It ran the last week.
So nice they even had the masking closed in on the side of the curved scope screen to show flat 1.85.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-16-2018 05:23 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
A friend of mine from the Detroit area (RC) told me he is confused about something in the movie that does not seem right. A jade rock was stolen and picked up on the ground at a gas station but returned to the pile of them for sale,tossed back into the for sale bin. Way later on in the film this same blue/green rock stone shows up again?
The implication is that he only pretended to put the rock back.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 08:04 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam that is what I thought. My friend says you saw the limo guy toss back the stone into the pile and you heard it click. I guess he just put back in his pocket without showing it on the screen.
Both showing's I watched 'Green Door' at last week there was applause at the end plus my friend Mike in Atlanta heard the applause also shown at the Phipps Plaza on a giant curved screen.
You don't find this clapping when a film ends too often these days. Most people run out before all the credits. They miss things that are added on the credit roll like true photos of the characters in the movie and dates.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 08:39 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the film in 2:00. This is how it is listed on the IMDB.

Mike

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2018 09:35 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange many trade mags have this filmed in 2.35 scope but
at both cinemas we have seen It in was projected at flat 1.85.

Between October & December I ran about half-a-dozen press & industry
screenings at several screening rooms. (and I enjoyed the movie a lot)

I recall that before the first screening I did, somebody from Universal
warned me in an e-mail that it was in a "funny" aspect ratio and that
somebody would be checking to "make sure I showed it correctly" [Roll Eyes]

(They also said that because it was a 'high-profile' screening they were
sending two copies of the DCP and they wanted me to ingest both of
them, so that I'd have a backup, which is, from a technical standpoint,
impossible to do with two DCPs that have identical CPL's & UUID's)

Just for the record, the DCP CPL lists the aspect ratio as "F-200", and
this note was included in the ingest letter I got with the hard drive:
 -
Since all my shows are run manually, and I have complete masking
control, I simply adjusted the maskings & image size so that the 2.0
aspect ratio was correct, but without the 'black bars' top & bottom.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2018 03:26 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
way to not optimize the image, universal!

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2019 02:12 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that 'Green Book' did well at the Golden Globes along with 'Roma' I have told many of my theatre owners and manager friends to book these films now.
I think they will do well at Oscar time also in a few weeks.
The city of Sparks NV is one case for example. Galaxy Theatres has two semi new cinemas a few miles apart and they are both showing the same movies. No 3D all 2D even though they have a 3D Imax set up.
Missing are 'Green Book' 'The Favorite' and 'Roma' not playing.
Galaxy is missing the extra business by not booking these hot want to see films now.
With all the Mexican and Spanish movie loving customers in the Sparks NV area they are not seeing 'Roma' on the big screen.
It's time for Galaxy Theatres in Sparks NV to put in some different films and give the locals some choice.
The seniors don't care about Aquaman, Spiderman or Bumblebee.
They will like to get out and see'Green Book'now that word is getting out.
I e mailed Frank the owner about this movie booking problem in Sparks NV.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2019 06:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a chance to see "Green Book" at an AMC theater in Seattle over the weekend. We went in literally knowing next to nothing about the film, outside of the article I posted here a couple weeks ago which raged about the Oscar win. Other than that, we knew very little about what we were going to see.

Everything about the presentation was perfect, including the lack of any commercials before the movie (we got in just as the first trailer was starting, so I don't know what was up there before the showtime, but I'm totally against mixing ads in with the trailers). Sound was good, picture was bright, lighting was great and seats were fine.

Having read up a little on the controversy about the movie since we saw it, I understand somewhat about where the gripes are coming from. BUT... the gripers are blaming "the Adademy" for "not picking the right movie." What the hell are the voters supposed to do? "Well, I liked Green Book best, thought it was the better film, but I'll pick BlackKKlansman because I feel it would look better to pick a movie that expresses the feelings/experiences of African Americans better from an African American point of view, even though I didn't like it as much as I liked Green Book."

What good is a "vote" if they're now required to qualify their votes like that? Thank God the votes are secret, otherwise we'd be seeing perfectly good filmmakers having their careers ruined because they "voted wrong" for Best Picture.

I get what the complaints are about, but I think they're taking the movie the wrong way. To me the story was about two guys learning about each other and both becoming better people for the experience. I didn't think it was a "white rescue" situation at all... it was a depiction of something that happened.

I saw some gripes that the movie should have been about Don Shirley, with Mahershala Ali as the star and Viggo Mortenson as the support player. But that would have been a completely different movie. This movie was about a relationship, not just about one person. These people are upset that the black guy was "second" to the white guy in the movie. It didn't strike me that way at all, I thought the movie was about both guys equally and their personal growth. But then I'm not black, so my opinion may not count.

Some didn't like the ending, which, as most people probably know by now, depicts Don Shirley being invited by his driver/bodyguard, Tony, to his family's Christmas celebration. Well.... if that's what happened, why not show that? I have no idea if that depiction was accurate or not. If it wasn't accurate, that's another discussion -- but from an "movie" standpoint, it would have been bad storytelling to have Shirley go home to a big family Christmas party, because that's not the kind of life he'd been shown to lead up to that point.

My wife and I both thought the movie was outstanding. I came out of there feeling horribly ashamed and almost in disbelief that our country ever had the types of racism shown, and also a feeling of hope that, current political rhetoric aside, progress has indeed been made. I also came out wanting to learn more about that period of history, which I have done some reading on already.

I would give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I can't remember the last time I watched a modern Best Picture winner and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My friend says you saw the limo guy toss back the stone into the pile and you heard it click. I guess he just put back in his pocket without showing it on the screen.

You see Tony "dip" his hand into the pile of rocks as if he is putting it back, but he doesn't toss it, and it looks kind of obviously like he didn't really put it back.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: