Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)

Author Topic: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-11-2018 06:25 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA; AMC Classic Oakwood Mall 8, Enid, OK
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: AMC Classic-o-Vision in a vintage slope auditorium with squeaky steel spring low-back recliner seats covered in plush red velour with an oddly generous amount of leg room, Mystery Meat digital with 4.1 sound (no center channel...that audio was mixed into the right front channel), loud climate control
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: See "PRESENTATION"
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Ticket-Concession Girl: "There's a girl standing over there. She'll tear your ticket and show you your auditorium."

Said "standing" girl is sitting. In a wheelchair.

If you're looking to expand your company into new markets, look no further than Enid. Because this ancient 8-plex that opened with this now nearly abandoned shopping mall back in 1984 is the only game in town. It's operated under five different brands over the years...none of which were the ones who actually built it. There's 61,000 people in the county and about double that in the trade area and they're all driving to Stillwater or Oklahoma City to see movies. City officials have been screaming for someone...anyone...to come into the market with a new modern multiplex for years. The Google reviews are hilarious...

quote:
Well, I went there the other day to see incredibles 2 and I just gotta say when I walked in it wasn't like a normal AMC theater. It was TRASHY (like the girls I went to high school with) and RUN DOWN (like my emotional state) and DIRTY (like an ex wife.)
The number of reviews that indicated the popcorn machine was down is crazy. Are you KIDDING me? That's the WHOLE REASON YOU'RE IN BUSINESS.

Still, my visit was disappointing because I was hoping for a train wreck and, while fantastically retro, the place was spotlessly clean and seemed well kept. And the kids working there couldn't be nicer.

THE PLOT: Daddy is a pig. Wackiness ensues.

I was surprised to see the trailer for this a few months back. The original Stieg Larrson trilogy seemed pretty permanent because, you know, he's dead and all, but apparently somebody else has taken up the mantle. Critics of this book say it lacks Larrson's "edge". That's true about the movie as well. It plays more like the boring parts of a Bond flick.

The character Mikael Blomkvist is back in what can only be described as a reduced role, just a guy in the background helping out when needed. Lisbeth has an evil sister to deal with now too. (That's not a spoiler, it's a major focal point of the trailer.)

I expected mediocre. I got mediocre.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: