Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Suspiria (2018)

Author Topic: Suspiria (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-11-2018 01:26 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East 20, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 5
PRESENTATION: Warren 21 Recline-o-Vision with butt warmers and Regal Roller Coaster Vision
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Am American girl joins a German dance company. Wackiness ensues.

Dario Argento's original trippy, colorful horror cult classic succeeded on visuals and atmosphere. There really wasn't much to the story, it was just good enough. It assaulted you with colors and crazy music and got the hell out in about 90 minutes. Nothing looks or feels quite like it, and that's what makes it work.

Luca Guadagnino's take on this is exactly the opposite. The story is the same basic premise, but it's far more complex. The characters are greater in numbers and have more depth. The surroundings are...muted. The rich colors of the original are nowhere to be seen. The music is subtle and haunting. And at a 2 1/2 hour running time, it's in no hurry to get to the point.

And yet, I was never bored. I would not have cut a thing out. It kept my attention all the way through.

This is an Amazon production, so you'll be able to stream it on Prime sometime after the new year.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2018 10:09 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the real highlights of the movie are the soundtrack from Radiohead's Thom Yorke - and the super eeries 7.1 soundmix (too bad the final mix was not Dolby Atmos as the end credits denote).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2018 02:40 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the original. This is just a boring piece of crap. If it had been shot on film, you could give me a pair of scissors and some splicing tape, and I could have made an almost entertaining 65 minute movie out of this 2½ hour snooze fest. Had I realized that this was an Amazon production, I would have waited for it to appear on a television near me, but since it would then be free (Amazon Prime), I would have had to demand that Amazon give me 2 hours of my life back. Negative 1 star.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2018 11:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
This is an Amazon production, so you'll be able to stream it on Prime sometime after the new year.
It might be pretty cool if Amazon made both the Dario Argento original and this remake available to watch together. I'm doubting they would do something like that though. The 1977 movie doesn't appear to be available to watch on any streaming services. I remember the movie getting the DTS-ES treatment on DVD a long time ago. But it looks like all the region 1 disc-based releases are out of print.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2018 01:10 AM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
If it had been shot on film
It actually was!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-01-2018 06:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I remember the movie getting the DTS-ES treatment on DVD a long time ago. But it looks like all the region 1 disc-based releases are out of print.
Synapse did a restoration and released it on Blu-ray this year, and it looks great. Not cheap though.

Suspiria Special Edition

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2018 11:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Synapse restoration looks stunning - on both the bluray and the 4K DCP which was released theatrically last year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: