Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bad Times at the Royale

Author Topic: Bad Times at the Royale
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2018 11:10 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this new movie at the early 10AM showing at the Cinemark/Century 20 in Daly City CA on opening day Fri Oct 12. Shown on a square screen with no masking set for scope with white screen at the top and bottom. I hate seeing a scope film when they don't close the masking or widen It out. The'Royal' movie was one of the best movies I have seen in the last five years. Very well done and edited. A long flick at 141 minutes. The director Goddard has a little Tarantino,Coen Brothers and Wes Anderson all in this new mystery movie. The use of music mainly from a old jukebox in a run down old motel split down the middle on the CA/Nevada border near Lake Tahoe CA in the late 1960's was very well done. There are many surprises in the film. All the different characters that check into the El Royale are used very well. For those of you that see this movie there is a strange old 16mm loop film that is found in the motel. They don't tell you much about It but they tease the audience on what is on the film. I think it was RFK & MM? As I always do after watching a hot new showing with friends after we all see a new movie we discussed what we would do or add to the movie. The one thing I would have done was as It was used many times in the movie is end the film just before the credits roll would to put the old jukebox on as It catches fire and shorts out to play one more song then fades down the music to a crawl as the fire hits the wood,tubes and vinyl then roll credits. Also the main title at the start of Royale is very lame. They needed to use the great looking neon motel sign and ad BAD at the top. Another thing did any of you film people see the big mistake or did they plan It this way was to show a old a 78 rpm wood jukebox and have 12 inch 33 1/3 stereo records playing when they needed to show a machine that played 45's? One final thought at the near end when the lady singer hits Reno NV they needed to have her wig back on. Go see this movie, you will enjoy It. A bit slow in places. Hope It does well as I think It will be a word of mouth film to watch this coming week. I will be seeing It again with friends next week at a different cinema in SF with a wider scope curved screen.

|  IP: Logged

James Biggins
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2018 06:49 PM      Profile for James Biggins   Email James Biggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paragraphing would be useful Terry.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped reading after reading: "The'Royal' movie was one of the best movies I have seen in the last five years"

the running time made me balk.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-21-2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
apparentlytheposthadsomethingtodowithamovienotshownwiththerightma
skingandsomeotherpresentationmistakesbutididn'treadpastthefirstfe
wlinesbecauseeverythingwasallruntogether.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-28-2018 01:06 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI - the correct title is "Bad Times at the El Royale".

CINEMA: Regal Warren East 20, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 9, SEAT: C6
PRESENTATION: Warren 21 Recline-o-Vision with Butt Warmers and Regal Roller Coaster Vision
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

OUT OF CONTEXT COMMENT OVERHEARD IN THE PARKING LOT BEFORE THE SHOW: "Shit! I'm gonna have to put a shirt on."

THE PLOT: Four jerks from all walks of life check into a hotel. Wackiness ensues.

The opening scene is the best scene in the movie. It's a great visual and it builds intrigue. The end of said scene doesn't really make a lot of sense by the end of the movie, at least to me, but whatever. The plot twists are so abundant it's like being a dog in a room full of squirrels.

Jeff Bridges delivers a standout performance, but it's not enough to make the movie as a whole stand out.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2018 11:04 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
OUT OF CONTEXT COMMENT OVERHEARD IN THE PARKING LOT BEFORE THE SHOW: "Shit! I'm gonna have to put a shirt on."
Was she at least Hot? [beer]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-09-2018 10:41 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Gonzalez
Was she at least Hot?
It was a 'he', and I didn't bother to go over and look.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-29-2019 10:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it on Blu-ray over the weekend. I loved this movie. Beautifully photographed, great acting and dialog. Completely unpredictable yet everything eventually falls into place. Well most everything.

I give it 4.75 stars out of 5, deducting 1/4 star over the previously mentioned playing records in the wrong format and speed for the era on the beautifully restored Wurlitzer jukebox. But can’t blame them for getting that Wurlitzer in there somehow.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2019 10:32 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David for the review. So many people missed this film when It was released in the cinemas. They are finding about It now on video. Shame on the studios for not doing the proper ad campaigns like in the past. At least at home you can turn up the sound and hear all the great surround feature.

Will make a great midnight show for some creative theatre owners in college markets. The cardboard standee for this film was very classic with the motel sign ect. I would have liked to have one but I think they all got trashed after the movie opened. I was told they took many hours to put It together for the lobby display.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-29-2019 10:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this movie during its original theatrical release last year. I wasn't super impressed with it, partly because it had me thinking of too many other movies while I was watching it. I had just seen Jon Hamm playing a bad guy in Baby Driver. And out of movies set in the Lake Tahoe area, this one ranks way the hell beyind The Godfather Part II. Smokin' Aces was also more fun.

Still, this movie had a good cast. I like Nick Offerman in just about any movie. And Chris "Thor" Hemsworth was pretty decent as a cult-like figure named "Billy Lee."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: