Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » BlacKkKlansman (2018)

Author Topic: BlacKkKlansman (2018)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2018 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Century Regency Theaters, San Rafael, California

In the late 1970s, Ron Stallworth, the first black detective in the Colorado Springs Police Department, successfully infiltrated the local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan, an assortment of nitwits that was planning a horrific act of violence against the leader of the local black student union to coincide with a visit from Grand Wizard David Duke, but who were themselves so cowardly that they planned on having one of their wives do the actual act. Stallworth was so successful in his subterfuge that he managed to get Duke on the phone to persuade him to expedite his membership application so he could participate in cross burnings. With fellow detective Flip Zimmerman posing as Stallworth in person, they were able to get so deep into the Klan organization that Zimmerman was actually nominated to run the local group by its departing leader.

BlacKkKlansman is the screamingly funny and deeply troubling story of how it all went down and is riveting to watch. John David Washington (Denzel’s son) portrays Stallworth with great dignity, overcoming the police department’s institutional racism to lead a major undercover investigation. Adam Driver as Zimmerman is terrific as well playing a conflicted Jew who must put up with the Klan’s anti-semitism to bring off the ruse. While some scenes had the audience in hysterics, there are portions that left them stunned into silence. In one such scene, an elderly black man played by Harry Belafonte recalls to the student union the horrific lynchings that he observed in his youth, this is intercut with a Klan induction ceremony which includes a screening of D.W. Griffith’s disgustingly racist Birth Of A Nation. The picture is dedicated to Heather Heyer, who lost her life in last year’s Charlottesville incident, footage of which is included at the end of the film.

This is strong filmmaking and Spike Lee’s best picture since Do The Right Thing. Very highly recommended.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2018 10:56 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with your recommendation. Very well done film. The undercover officer who attended the Klan meetings was very quick on his feet, almost being discovered several times. I've read that the movie is based on a memoir of the black officer who did infiltrate the Klan (though his part was on the phone). Though some parts of the movie were added for dramatic effect, a lot of it is accurate.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2018 12:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, it took this long after '25th Hour' for Spike Lee to make a truly great movie! hands down excellent movie.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2018 12:28 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did several advance press/preview screenings of this about a month ago.
At the time I wasn't familiar with the title, and when I got the first e-mail
about the screenings, I thought their "K" keyboard key had gotten stuck!
Silly me.... [Roll Eyes]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-03-2018 12:36 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 10
PRESENTATION: Warren 21 Recline-o-Vision with butt warmers and mystery meat Regal Roller Coaster 2K Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Auditorium clock WAAAY too bright
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A cop escapes the records room. Wackiness ensues.

It has its funny moments, it sure as hell is polarizing, and it's not subtle at all in making comparisons to current events.

In the Buchanan County, Iowa Courthouse on the door of the county attorney's office is a sign that simply reads "Why can't we all just get along."

Truth is, we can.

But we probably never will.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: