Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sorry to Bother You (2018)

Author Topic: Sorry to Bother You (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-21-2018 06:12 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Fleur Cinema & Cafe, Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Old slope shoebox with hard lowback fixed seats with mystery meat digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: RF channel sporadic during trailers, surround speakers here are just for show
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A guy takes a telemarketing job. Wackiness ensues.

Cassius Green is rhe kind of guy who has to buy gas forty cents at a time and take the most soul-crushing job on Earth. It’s not going well until he takes the advice of a co-worker (“use your white voice”...which is actually dubbed in) and soon he’s a phenomenal success moving up the gold rlevator to the floor where the real money is made selling...well, never mind. And that’s not even the big plot twist. Suffice to say there are moral issues and strained relationships. Sounds sort of normal, right? Except that the visuals are just crazy ridiculous. Every character in the movie, especially Green’s girlfriend Detroit, is completely over the top.

Some people are calling this the comedy of the year. I and this audience didn’t laugh much. I saw a comparison to ‘Get Out” and even “Being John Malkovich.” It isn’t even remotely on either level. It tries WAY too hard to be clever and surreal. The end result isn’t bad, but it’s not great either.

A lot of people will walk out saying what one woman walking of this show said...”I have NO idea what I just saw.”

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: