Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Eighth Grade (2018)

Author Topic: Eighth Grade (2018)
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2018 12:10 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really great portrayal of a girl in 8th grade. She does motivational videos but can't seem to follow her own advice. Reminded me of Ladybird and 13 Reasons. We really enjoyed it with a great audience that also appreciated it.

|  IP: Logged

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2018 08:35 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed LadyBird. May have to check this one out.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2018 02:15 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great interview with the writer/director is at https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2018/07/18/630012689?showDate=2018-07-18 .

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-04-2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Cinemarkury Recline-o-Vision with some sort of fancy digital technology from the future that mysteriously arrived in a steampunk balloon
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

"Butter?" asks Concession Guy

"LOTS of butter," I reply.

He puts on...butter. I enhance said butter at the self-serve buttery topping machine before filling my cup with Hi-C Orange at the Coke Freestyle machine. Between the two of us, the popcorn was perfectly buttered all the way through. Didn't even have a pool of the oily stuff at the bottom of the bag.

FOCUS FEATURES: A Comcast company. What? So much for their credibility.

THE PLOT: A girl finishes eighth grade. Wackiness ensues.

This is really well done. Kayla is shown in all her awkwardness with all her flaws (such as the ill-fitting bathing suit). The spartan music does as much to project the mood as the dialogue and visuals. Probably my favorite school-themed movie since Napoleon Dynamite.

That scene in the mall at the food court where Kayla is hanging with the high school kids and smiling and nodding and feeling embarrassingly out of place? That's me to this day at any lunch or dinner I have to go to with people I don't know. Except that I usually want to kill everyone there.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 08:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great movie, but one question I have, is the volume of the music soundtrack supposed to be THAT loud and jarring?

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 09:16 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on my experience seeing it at the local Cinemark, I think so. It's supposed to set the tone in the most jarring way possible. It was loud in my theater too. It didn't seem overwhelming or anything. Just some very forced dynamic contrast.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-21-2018 10:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Haller
very forced dynamic contrast
So I guess, translated to English: "Annoyingly loud"

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2018 10:21 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the film at Landmark's Piedmont and did not notice anything loud about the soundtrack / music.

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: