Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hereditary (2018)

Author Topic: Hereditary (2018)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2018 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After burying her not-particularly-beloved mother, a maker of shockingly personal doll house figures becomes convinced that demonic forces are invading her life, possibly after her children. At the Regal Stadium Theaters, Nanuet, New York.

Mama was a spiritualist, you see, and besides raising a seriously screwed-up daughter she and her gang were messing around with spells, incantations and demon raising. But you know how these things go sometimes . . . people go off the page, get suspicious, have the wrong gender children, and then before you know it, heads have to roll. This tedious and overlong picture pushes a lot of the same horror film buttons that Rosemary’s Baby did without having much of interest happening between its meager scares. The lead actress plays her role with a kind of shrieking hysteria that’s hard to watch, and the rest of the cast runs the gamut between unattractive and downright annoying. It’s very slowly paced, and it leads to an ending that does pay off what came before without being especially shocking. Maybe after fifty-plus years of horror film watching I’ve become jaded, but I don’t get all the raving that’s going on over this one, and I can’t recommend anything but a bargain matinee if that.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I enjoyed the movie, it was overly long at 140 minutes. This probably hurt thee movie more than anything else.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2018 12:13 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that I found the part before the super-natural stuff started happening to be much more intriguing than everything that came after it.

I guess as long as the stuff doesn't escape the realm of possible reality, your brain keeps on trying to solve the story for you. Every new bit adds a little dimension to that story. But as soon as the super-natural crapola kicks in, it's all over the place and anything can happen from that point on, essentially taking the whole story down the drain with it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: