Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-27-2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMCarmike 13, Champaign, IL
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: Carmike Big Douchebag Auditorium with Dolby Atmos and standard non-reserved stadium seating
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Loud, barely effective climate control (a Carmike trademark), harsh center channel, dim dull picture, annoyingly bright exit signs (FOUR of them) and aisle lights
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

This is essentially a copycat of the two big auditoriums at Megaplex at Jordan Commons but with green accent lighting that includes an LED strip along the bottom of the screen that remains FULLY ILLUMINATED through the trailers. Because the picture wasn't already dark enough without the distraction. There was no pre-show, and the black and green ambience really made me want them to fire up Atari's Battlezone on the screen and hand me a joystick.

THE PLOT: A guy escapes New Jersey. Wackiness ensues.

Remember when Star Wars movies were fun? Oh wait, right, that was only the first one. Well now here's a second one. Sort of. It's a failed heist caper followed by a make-up heist with way too many plot twists and not quite as much humor as I'd hoped for, though it has its moments.

Having said that, it's probably my favorite of the Star Wars movies past the original, though not enough that I want to own it or anything.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-27-2018 05:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, didn't love it. The best character, I thought, was Qi'ra. I'm surprised they didn't kill her off (that's a spoiler alert for Solo Episode II right there). The story was pretty good, but there is a definite aura of "been there, done that" surrounding Star Wars movies these days. Disney needs to quit being so grabby and space them out more.

Audiences seem to be liking it OK. I'm not getting any "well, that sucked" comments but nobody's really full-on raving either. It's certainly not doing Avengers business or even Last Jedi business. I'm hoping they'll let us out of the 3rd week, if not we might as well just shut the doors that week.

3 out of 5 stars.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-17-2018 07:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it.

I don't have much to ad beyond what Sam already posted. It is probably #3 on my Star Wars favorite lists. Empire, New Hope, Solo.

It presented characters you could get behind (unlike Eps 1-3). It had a pretty good blend of story, action, sappiness though a little lite on the humor, it was there.

It is probably a 3-4 stars out of 5 for me.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2018 08:47 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much a big fan of the whole Star Wars franchise and such, but ugh... this movie just sucked.(oh and Mike I just read your comments after posting mine). Other than L3 and Donald Glover as the young Lando, nothing remotely caught my attention or enthusiasm. Also add in the horrible cinematography that left the overall entire movie near colorless and dim, this was a chore to sit through

1.5 out of 5 rating.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: