Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Avengers: Infinity War (2018) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-28-2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Warren GRAND slope auditorium with a balcony that I'm not sitting in so really who cares
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Thanos wants to collect the set of infinity stones. Wackiness ensues.

If you don't like spoilers, just stop reading now because I'm going to lay out everything that happens to save you the time and effort of bothering to go. The Avengers need to stop Thanos from getting his paws on all the infinity stones. They fail and the credits roll, listing the literal thousands who were involved in the making of this picture right down to the assistant payroll accountants. Then a commercial for the all-new 2019 Infiniti QX50, starring Samuel Jackson, airs. Then we all exit to the lobby, where kids are telling those waiting in line to see this that it's the greatest movie ever.

It is a fun ride with the humor you'd expect in a Marvel feature and much more clever pop culture references than were in Ready Player One, at least up until Act 17 or so, when it goes all "Last Jedi" dark and I'm like "God, resolve this already." But do they? NO. THEY FREAKING DON'T. Apparently this is part one of whoever knows how many parts. GOD DAMMIT MOVIE.

So just sit this one out and go to the follow-up, which hopefully there's only one of.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-28-2018 11:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's yet another interminable, 47-plots-to-follow, universe-at-stake, funny-in-spots, Marvel movie. I tried reading the Wikipedia plot summary of this one and was lost by the end of the second paragraph.

It's really too bad there isn't some other thing to be "at stake" besides the WHOLE UNIVERSE. They've backed themselves into a corner with this. I liked it when the movies were more simple, such as Superman being mainly concerned with Lois Lane and the population of one city at a time.

I also wish they'd just knock it off already with putting the extra scene at the VERY end of the credits. Just stick it in after the major celebrity name checks and the title, and then be done with it. The audience has already sat there for about 3 hours, and at least half of them get pissed when they have to wait through 12 minutes of gobbledy-gook to get to the ending of the movie - which isn't really an ending.

I suppose we're inching toward the time when the movie runs for about a half-hour, then the end credits, followed by two hours of extra scenes. If I was directing the new Deadpool that's what I'd do.

As expected, this movie has plenty of those stupid "touch your arm and your whole suit unfolds from nowhere" scenes too, which irritate me because they're physically ridiculous, but then I suppose the whole MCU falls in to that category so whatever.

The people who like this kind of thing are loving it, though -- my friend Keith was positively giddy about it -- so, as Pope Francis famously said, who am I to judge? The hardest part of playing this show is having to stand at the exit and act like I loved it. The Oscars ought to have a category for "Best Exit Acting by a Theater Owner."

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-29-2018 08:30 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want spoilers, just read the comic. The story has been changed quite a bit for the movie (to use the characters that Disney has worked up) but the basic plot is the same - and the solution (ie the next movie) is also there for anyone to see.
The magical tech (ironmans suit, etc) is ridiculous, of course. Other questions arise - why does Thanos walk up that mountain when he can apparently travel freely through space and time? And that is NOT forging, it's just casting.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-29-2018 12:52 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the forging is a forgery? [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-30-2018 10:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema: AMC Patriot 13, Lawton, OK
Screen: #7, IMAX Digital, Seats K14 & K15
Format: Dual 2K Projection 3D, 5.1 audio
Presentation Problems: Audio needs more oomph.
Movie Rating: 3.33 stars out of 4

It looks as if I liked this movie more than quite a few other viewers. One of the big complaints is the dark, cliff-hanger ending after 2.5 hours of run time. It was obvious years ago when Infinity War was first announced that this would be at least a 2 part saga. I expected a big cliff-hanger and dark ending, although this movie finished darker than expected, perhaps too dark to even believe.
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Bunch of Tedious Crap Here:
The initial marketing for MCU Phase (Is it Phase 3?) let the cat out of the bag with Infinity War "Part 1" and "Part 2" movies slated for 2018 & 2019 respectively. They dropped the whole "Part 2" thing in the marketing when certain youth anthology movies (Hunger Games With Different Names) crapped out when dragging final chapters over the space of two movies. I guess the "Mouse House" panicked over that. "Untitled Avengers Movie" is supposed to make us think the 4th Avengers movie will feature a whole new story, villain and world-ending threat when it's just Part 2 of the movie we just watched. There was no practical way to squeeze all this stuff with Thanos, the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wakanda, etc into just one movie. I throw the "etc" in there because there other characters not seen in this movie who are involved in the plot. They'll be in other Marvel movies and the next Avengers movie next year.

At least four Marvel movies will be released between now and the next Avengers installment in 2019. Deadpool is in the X-Men universe even though his story-line has intersected with that of Spiderman in the comics. It's highly unlikely Deadpool 2 will have any involvement with the Avengers story-line, other than Josh Brolin playing different villains in both movies. Ant Man & The Wasp and Captain Marvel are both likely to set up plot developments for the next Avengers movie. It's shaping up as more prerequisite "homework" for viewers before this Part 2 thing next year. At least it's not as freaking confounding as watching Lost.

Venom is a big question mark since Spiderman crossed over to the Marvel MCU. The symbiote first appeared in Spiderman issues in the 1980's and has been written into story-lines with Thanos and other Marvel comics characters. It's unclear if the Venom movie coming out this fall will be a purely standalone thing unrelated to Spiderman or the Avengers/Thanos. I am digging how they modeled the Venon character in the latest trailer:

-

End of Tedious Crap

Anyway, we're all familiar with the plot line of Infinity War. The movie had its moments. Thor's interaction with Rocket was one of the funnier highlights. Rocket had some of the best one-liners. When Peter Quill (feeling inadequate next to Thor) says, "I'm muscular," Rocket replies, "Who are you kidding, Quill? You're one sandwich away from fat." It goes without saying the show is packed with a shit-ton of complex CGI imagery, although a couple of the artificial CGI characters struggled with the "uncanny valley." The female villain, Proxima Midnight, was in that iffy territory in close-ups. They did a good job on the Thanos character (which seemed like a mix of CGI and practical makeup effects).

Cynthia and I watched the movie on our local IMAX-branded theater screen in 3D. Just about all the movie (if not all of it) was shown in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio, filling the entire screen. Other "standard" theaters are showing it in 'scope. I'm wondering if the IMAX-branded shows actually showed more imagery or less. It was clear anamorphic lenses were used on a lot of the live action footage. The credits said "filmed with IMAX cameras," but it seems like this movie was another Rogue One style effort where the Arri Alexa 65 was paired with Ultra Panavision 70 lenses. They even included a ridiculous Ultra Panavision 70 logo in the credits. When Infinity War was first announced there was hype about IMAX and Arri working together to use the Arri Alexa 65 to fill the taller screen height of "IMAX With Laser" screens. I guess they didn't end up doing that. The football-shaped bokeh would have been rotated 90 degrees if they did.

quote: Mike Blakesley
As expected, this movie has plenty of those stupid "touch your arm and your whole suit unfolds from nowhere" scenes too, which irritate me because they're physically ridiculous, but then I suppose the whole MCU falls in to that category so whatever.
I kind of blame the Transformers movie for that crap. Suits unfolding out of nowhere is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to violating the laws of physics. The Marvel MCU has been doing silly things with physics since the first Iron Man movie. A human being can't put on a metal suit and crash into the ground or through a building at jet fighter speed without being turned into a juicy mess of bloody granola. But these are super hero movies. We're supposed to suspend our disbelief to some degree, although it would be nice if the producers, writers and directors would do more to meet audiences halfway. At least the movie seems pretty normal compared to laugh-riots like Torque.

quote: Mike Blakesley
It's really too bad there isn't some other thing to be "at stake" besides the WHOLE UNIVERSE. They've backed themselves into a corner with this. I liked it when the movies were more simple, such as Superman being mainly concerned with Lois Lane and the population of one city at a time.
I agree, I don't know why they keep doing that crap. Yeah, a threat to end our world or destroy the universe is bad. But it's so broad that it's difficult for viewers to relate to it. Plus, so many movies have done the end of the world thing that it has become very tired. Now, to be fair, Thanos wasn't out to destroy the universe. He just wanted to indiscriminately kill off half its population. It's still a pretty broad thing, even with a MacGuffin like the infinity stones and gauntlet being involved. Movie viewers can more easily relate to a goals like defusing a bomb or preventing a villain from killing a specific person. When the writers blow the threat up to a ridiculous scale the threat is no longer personified. A Gamma Ray Burst from a distant collapsing star light years away could cook off the Earth's ozone layer (or worse) in a matter of seconds. Such a thing would touch off a mass extinction event that would killl everything right down to bacteria. Odds are extremely slim of that ever happening. But if it did happen we would be powerless to stop it. So why even worry?

I think Superman: The Movie (1979) was one of the best ever super hero movies. Its villain, Lex Luthor had specific goals in mind. He wanted to create a new West Coast and get filthy rich from it (and cause the deaths of many innocent people in the process). Pretty damn easy to understand there. Never mind the science of geology and how California can't fall off into the ocean in the event of a catastrophic earthquake.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-07-2018 07:57 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem with a movie like this is that they have so many super-heroes involved that it becomes difficult to find something for each one of them to do -- When everyone is Super nobody gets to be the Hero.

I suppose this movie is made for the fans; it doesn't do much for me simply because there's so many little things going on that the big thing (saving the world) gets lost in there somewhere.

We've just got a lot of cast members standing around in costumes. Ok, you fly around and you beat the ground with a sword and you - yes you! Hey! Tweet! Yeah, you! Go stand over there.

And that's pretty much the story as far as I can tell.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, you read my mind there with the Superman '79 idea, was thinking the same thing, what the heck would be wrong with a few "stop the lunatic from regional mayhem" heroism for a change? The scale of that makes the unbelievable much more believable.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2018 01:08 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howard the Duck will be in the sequel Avengers the Massive Douche Fest.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2018 02:10 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I got bored by an Avengers/Capt America movie. I didnt watch Thor Ranganak and so was a little confused by the first scene and mistakenly thought it was the final scene others were talking about and the rest of the movie would be a flashback. Once i got past that misconception, I had a hard time staying awake. The action scenes were tedious. Every superhero seems to fight in similar fashion with no clear delineations of strengths and weaknesses. Everyone might as well be superman.

The deaths at the end meant nothing to me as most of those characters will be back in another movie anyway. Plus didnt Wonder Woman and justice league have a similar plot about the bad guy getting a collection of stones or energy sources?

There needs to be real danger put back into action movies.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-15-2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the last Power Rangers movie had the collecting of assorted colours of stones thing in it too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2018 04:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the main thing driving these "whole universe at stake" plots is, these movies have to resonate with a worldwide audience now. Superman 1979 would probably be a big flop because "only" the coast of California (and Hackensack, NJ) were at stake.

A superhero movie with a Bin Laden type of character plotting to bomb the new World Trade Center would be a cool movie, but would the people in China want to go see it?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-16-2018 02:06 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "home audience" here in 'Murica is the one dependably paying the bills. And it's this audience that is growing tired of the re-tred stuff. The less than stellar performance of the latest round of super hero movies, Star Wars installments and other derivative been-there, done-that gunk should be a clue to the movie studios they need to grow a pair of functioning balls and actually take a fucking damned chance on a new idea.

I've been watching some of the stock trader jerk-off fest taking place regarding whether Disney or Comcast will become the new owners of 20th Century Fox. Or is it 21st Century? A big part of the success from this buy-out hinges on Americans being totally perfectly happy being force fed the same old shit over and over and over and over and over again, but with a different number affixed to the title. The more and more these guys at the top think they're taking over Hollywood the more I think they're living under some kind of altered state of reality. These creative ideas kinds of businesses are actually a bit fragile. Coming up with good movies people are willing to pay a hefty premium to watch in theaters or to own on disc is really not all that easy or dependable. It's not like changing a few style features between the 2018 and 2019 versions of a car on an assembly line.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2018 01:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
20th Century Fox. Or is it 21st Century?
The first time I saw "21st Century" in print, I thought it was a mistake, but 20th Century is the studio, 21st Century is the "parent" company.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The less than stellar performance of the latest round of super hero movies, Star Wars installments and other derivative been-there, done-that gunk should be a clue to the movie studios they need to grow a pair of functioning balls and actually take a fucking damned chance on a new idea.
Also, what happened to making entertaining movies on non-nine figure budgets? The reason these franchises need to appeal to the whole world is because they cost so much to make and market. Why not spend $75 million on a movie that appeals to Americans and Candadians and try to get a $200 million or so gross out of it? It would still be a 33% ROI before home release and the downside is much lower.

When they spend $300 million+ on a movie like Solo, They need a worldwide gross of around $600 million just to break even. To get a 33% ROI it needs to be in the $800 million range. When it bombs (like Solo), there is major downside.

They could have made four $75 million movies. Now the risk on the $300 million is mitigated. If one bombs, 2 do OK and 1 is a hit they'll still get a decent ROI.

I know the franchise movies have the merchandising and marketing tie ins but the basic economics still hold true.

One day Superhero fatigue will set in to the general public and Disney will end up with a "one time charge" of several hundred million dollars when 2 or 3 MCU movies that are in production all bomb. Personally, I have no desire to see any Superhero movies at this point. The 2002 Spider-Man through The Dark Knight was the modern heyday of Superhero movies. After that (including The Dark Knight Rises) it's been downhill for the most part.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2018 05:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except now you've got Incredibles 2 doing blockbuster business. Keep in mind that it's:

* A sequel
* A superhero movie

So....it's probably going to beget more of the same. Also to bring this full circle, the most recent Avengers wasn't exactly a flop, either.

I think Solo would have done a lot better if they'd done 2 things: Wait until maybe a year after Episode IX to release it, and had somebody who looked closer to Harrison Ford starring in it. As it is, it just didn't excite people. I personally liked it.

Maybe Solo being a disappointment will be a wake up call that they can't just milk the daylights out of everything. But I doubt it. They'll just up the ante in the marketing department.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: