Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » A Quiet Place (2018) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Quiet Place (2018)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2018 07:37 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upstate New York, 2021: a farm family tries to cope with an infestation of creatures that are hyper-sensitive to sound, and who kill anybody that makes one. At the National Amusements Showcase Cinemas, Edgewater, New Jersey.

A Quiet Place is lazy storytelling. We meet the Abbott Family ninety days into a post-apocalyptic future (but one where the power is still on, lucky them!). They have to be vewy vewy qwiet as they forage for supplies and walk about their rural property, there are creatures lurking nearby that are all ears, literally, and any sound at all will cause them to rush out and slice 'em up real good. What are the creatures, where did they come from, why could they not be stopped before this? You’re out of luck if you want answers from this picture, because the filmmakers can’t be bothered to supply any.

If you go with it, though, it has some decent chills after a slow moving start. After their youngest son was carried off while playing with a noisy toy, the parents decide to have another child, because God knows newborn babies don’t make a peep. The mother’s water breaking sets up a pretty well done second act where she must deliver the baby alone with one of the creatures in the house with her, pretty harrowing stuff. There’s also a pretty good amount of tension as the father searches for his two remaining children, who are trapped and close to drowning in a corn silo, but it all leads to an ending that is not clearly explained and so abrupt as to be cowardly.

Technically it’s pretty well done and the acting is very good, and the young deaf actress who plays the twelve year old daughter is superb, really an amazing performance.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/09/600873822/yes-you-really-do-hear-each-crunch-of-popcorn-while-watching-a-quiet-place?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180410

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2018 03:29 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seen a similar story about farting during this movie lol.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those movies where I'd ESPECIALLY like to own and operate a theater of my own with excellent acoustics because with any modern multiplex you can hear the HVAC, the movie in the next auditorium over, and other shit that ruins quiet scenes.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even though I missed the Atmos presentation over at Arclight Bethesda, the 7.1 sound mix at my neighborhood AMC theater was excellent nonetheless.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-21-2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 10, SEAT: D11
PRESENTATION: Cinemark Recline-o-Vision stadium seating digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: These are the most uncomfortable recliners yet. Someone should set up a massage shop near the theatre entrance specializing in neck pain
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Ginormous blind bugs hunt noisy people. Wackiness ensues.

Agreed on the availability of electricity. That seemed a little ridiculous. I otherwise was pretty much along for the ride until the super dumb ending where the solution becomes obvious and yet the character who stumbles on it doesn’t get it. And I would have thought somebody elsewhere would have figured out something that simple much sooner.

Admit it, if these creatures actually existed, you’d hire them to eat noisy cinema patrons.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2018 02:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, also, found myself wondering "how did the world get into this mess?" That happens with a lot of movies these days...no backstory. I guess they figure they can spin out a prequel.

The other thing was, apparently all the people in the world are gone and the only reason THESE people survived is because they have a deaf child so they know sign language. But we don't know that for sure.... all we know is there are no other people in the immediate vicinity.

So at the end, the solution to the scary creatures is found, and Mom is ready to start blasting away but ... then what? The mind reels at the unanswered questions:

1. How many of these monsters are there?
2. Are there a bunch of monster eggs or whatever waiting in the wings to spawn more monsters?
3. Are all the people in the world really gone?

If the answer to #3 is yes, they're going to be alone in the world. No infrastructure, nobody to talk to, not even a guy around to help start repopulating the planet.

Given those circumstances I think I'd prefer to get ate up by a scary monster.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-22-2018 08:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny Story...

I don't know this movie and I was at a site doing some regular maintenance and among that, I tuned up (B-Chain) of some of the auditoriums. I always like to both look and listen to my work once I'm done. Even when not tuning, when I'm out on a PM visit, I like to run some content to verify that there are no overt issues from the patron perspective. One of the things I check for is Lip-sync.

So, I start the feature while I'm coiling my mic cables and am waiting for the first dialog to check lip sync...nothing. By the time I finish with the mic cables, we are to the opening credits so I figure, that what was just on was the set-up for the movie, to put you in the mood. Credits are over, no talking. There is foley work that looks/sounds good but I like to check "Bs" and "Ms" for good sync. Nothing. Jump the movie ahead a reel, nothing, jump it again, nothing! This whole damn movie is without dialog (except inaudible whispers)!

Definitely the wrong test content for me that day! But they, the 7.1 effects mix was good!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-22-2018 08:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I looked up the IMDB quotes page for the movie and I think it pretty much has all the dialog there.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2018 11:03 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this movie.

I actually like the fact that there was no back story. I usually do not like very many horror or thriller movies due to too much backstory and filler content about the characters. It takes me out of the suspense and thrill. In these types of movies I could care less most of the time.

The utter silence of the film kept everyone in the theatre engaged and quiet!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 01:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw the movie at the AMC 24 at Disney Springs in Florida, on a Saturday night. There were about 30 people in the audience. I was really worried that people would just not be able to sit there in that silence without making stupid sounds, remarks, "boo!" noises, etc. But the crowd was damn good. Nobody talked, no cell phones popped up. It restored some of my faith in audiences.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 02:36 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there is some hope for humanity after all Mike.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-04-2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite enjoyed this movie. Reminds me a lot of Alien, with the monster standing about a foot away from the proposed victim that it can't actually see, and extending its teeth and such.

And I like end-of-the-world movies, anyway. (Hey, I enjoyed the heck out The Postman, so what does that tell you?)

The movie has some logical faults but who cares -- it's a fun movie.

The fact that they had power and no visible means of generating it is a logical flaw, especially when the power pole leading to their farm was down. (They show it to you when they are first approaching the bridge.) And boy, they sure have a lot of candles and lanterns burning considering that the power is actually on. Just to increase the fire hazard.

Since we coincidentally just had a Grain Rescue course in town is that it's impossible for someone to be pulled out of a pile of grain (corn, in this case) like the kid manages to do with his sister. The pressure is extreme and the only way to get someone out of that is to shovel the grain out from around them. Just grabbing and pulling will literally tear the person apart.

I actually knew that before, but since the Grain Rescue course was just here it was pretty much the first thing I thought of when the kid started sinking.

I missed something, or at least I didn't understand it: Why did the chap in the white robe start screaming? Maybe I blinked at the wrong time but I still don't see why that happened. I'll have to try to remember to go in and re-watch that scene sometime this week and see what actually happens.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2018 02:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have greenlighted a sequel, so I guess that means there are more people left in the world...and apparently a shit-ton more of these monsters.

Unless it's a prequel, in which case all bets are off.... which would make sense because then John Krasinski could be in it again.

If it isn't, what do you want to bet Emily Blunt falls in love with a new guy in the next one?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: