Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Isle of Dogs (2018)

Author Topic: Isle of Dogs (2018)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-07-2018 08:24 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Alamo Drafthouse, La Vista, NE
AUDITORIUM: 5, SEAT: 308
PRESENTATION: Alamo Dine-o-Vision with big ass Texasy rich Corinthean leather reclining seats (non-motorized and no footrest), stadium seating, some sort of nondescript digital presentation
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Constant scurrying servers running in front of me
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Alamo is known for their zero tolerance policy on patrons using cell phones or making noise or other such disruptions. They have a clear policy trailer for it. But what's the point when servers are constantly running around directly in your line of view? They work the room until 20 minutes before the end of the show. There were at least two occasions where I was like "WTF WAS THAT" as their silhouettes scurried in front of my line of vision while I was trying to watch the movie. They were doing that hunched down ducking thing, but it was pointless.

I didn't order any food. None of it looked appealing to me. I wasn't feeling terribly well anyway. Probably won't come back. This isn't the place for me. It is for some people, and that's fine.

THE PLOT: A boy searches for his dog. Wackiness ensues.

There were a lot of Spots (see what I did there?) in this movie where the crowd laughed out loud and I found myself wondering why. For a stop-motion animation about a kid and his dog friends, this felt pretty dark. The political bend is about as subtle as the mushroom cloud explosions depicted throughout. Because mushroom clouds are synonymous with Japan.

But it also has the quirks and silliness you'd expect from Anderson. Japanese humans all speak Japanese, mostly with no subtitles. "Dog barks" are "translated" into English (both points are actually pointed out early on) with American accents.

I was at 2 1/2 stars pretty much until the ending won me over.

So is this Anderson's way of apologizing to dog lovers for the number of pups he's killed off in his previous movies? I know people who hate his movies for that very reason.

|  IP: Logged

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam you and I are of the exact same opinion when in comes to this style of cinema. I hate them. When I watch a film the most I ever want to be distracted by food comes from what is available at your usual snack bar. Popcorn, candy, or at the most nachos. Something I can easily reach for in the dark without taking my eyes off the screen. The idea of having a meal in a cinema is just absurd to me. As said this style of cinema is for some but not for me.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-14-2018 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my days as a 'Vegas stagehand, the hotel showrooms used to serve dinner for the first show, and usually served only drinks for the second show.

Some of the star acts had performance contract language that stipulated that there be no servers in the room when the main act was on. First show opened for seating at 6 pm with curtain at 8 pm.

I imagine that today's movie/grill audiences would not put up with such restrictions. As for myself, I too find such a movie viewing environment to be way too distracting - I avoid seeing movies at such places.

As for the movie, I loved it! Enjoyed the many Kurosawa/Mifune touches sprinkled throughout. [thumbsup]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2018 09:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it too - if I could, I would have stayed and watched it again. What I really thought was exemplary was Wes' attention in how to film an animated and make use of the scope framing by placing text and images within the 2.35 framing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: