Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » I, Tonya (2017)

Author Topic: I, Tonya (2017)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-17-2018 10:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 13
PRESENTATION: Regal Roller Coaster Vision with standard stadium seating
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Noovie has a promo encouraging advertising with Noovie, claiming "no distractions". Apparently the people at NCM have never heard of smart phones, which pretty much everyone has in front of their face. The asshole behind me is watching a political program with the volume full blast so he can hear it over Noovie. Which means we can ALL hear it. At least three of us are glaring at him and his wife is trying to get him to turn it down, but he obviously feels he's the most important person in the room.

THE PLOT: A little girl skates. Wackiness ensues.

It's almost sad how much fun this movie is to watch. Tonya Harding's complete train wreck of a life is unfolded through the well-known names involved in or around "the incident"...the attack on Nancy Kerrigan ahead of the 1994 Winter Olympics, the buffoonery behind the attack being absolutely mind-boggling. The story is often told through recreations of interviews and a lot of third wall dropping.

Not ONE single character is likable. Not even Nancy Kerrigan. But Allison Janney as Harding's mother is deliciously evil, stealing every scene she's in.

If you want to feel better about your own life, this is the movie to see.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-18-2018 10:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From around the same time, a movie about Mary Decker and Zola Budd would probably have one leaving the theater with similar thoughts, too.

Will definitely try to see this one, though given the very cautious programming in the 'plexes around here (Hillary's America is the only documentary my local one has played in the five years I've lived here, that I'm aware of), it'll probably be on BD or Netflix.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-18-2018 11:06 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An definitive guilty pleasure. Who knew that child and spouse abuse could be so funny?
Well shot and well edited. You feel that everyone was having fun with it.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-18-2018 05:40 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
The story is often told through recreations of interviews and a lot of third wall dropping.
FOURTH wall. That’s the phrase, right? I’m too lazy to look it up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2018 11:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the third wall would be stage left, probably.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: