Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

Author Topic: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-03-2018 04:04 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: North Grand Cinema, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 3, SEAT: C5
PRESENTATION: Mystery Meat 4K Laser Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Volume WAAAY too low, some kid's cell phone rang during feature
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

The new mall owners trying to revive the property must have shit themselves when a husband-and-wife team who operate a couple of small plexes elsewhere moved back to town and, trying to find something to do with their lives, rang them up and said "Say, does that old five-plex buried back in the mall somewhere still exist?" Because that's basically how this 1990's-era Central States build came to re-open. They stripped it to the drywall and put up all new decor, installed recliners, and apparently put 4K laser projectors in ALL FIVE auditoriums. The picture was incredible. The lobby is way nicer than it ever was. And in a bit of a Warren Theatres touch, there was a kid with a bowl of free mints awaiting people exiting the auditorium after the movie. Well played, random people who made this happen. Well played.

But one of their biggest advantages over the Cinemark across town is price. A $6.50 matinee ticket is exactly that, even online. No additional tax, service fee, or convenience fee. Just $6.50.

The one negative is the sound. You know that thread where everybody is complaining about how loud movies are? This is your new favorite theatre.

THE PLOT: A group of kids from different walks of life find themselves in detention together. A really weird Breakfast Club reboot ensues.

This movie is dumb, but it's dumb in the best way possible. SO much fun from beginning to end. The tone reminded me a lot of Sky High.

There's a reason this thing has done as well as it has.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-15-2018 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was a lot of fun. So much better than the first one (which I hated).

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: