Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Post (2017)

Author Topic: The Post (2017)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2018 06:35 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the AMC Garden State 16, Paramus, New Jersey

In 1969, Daniel Ellsberg, an employee of the RAND Corporation, secretly photocopied a top secret forty-seven volume study of the Vietnam War which revealed, among other things, the the war was being fought on a march larger scale than the American people had been led to believe, and that this was being done even though many in the highest levels of government thought that the conflict was futile and unwinnable. Ellsberg gave the papers to the New York Times which began publishing them, but after they were stopped by a court order he arranged to give them to The Washington Post where editor Ben Bradlee approached owner and publisher Katherine Graham for permission to run them. Graham faced a terrible dilemma in that the study had been commissioned by her dear personal friend, former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamera who she did not want to betray, and that the controversy could scuttle the Post’s initial public stock offering, a badly needed financial move.

The Post is a terrific movie that covers the week in 1971 that the publication of “The Pentagon Papers” initially took place, and Bradlee’s struggle to convince Graham to approve the Post’s involvement even as the Nixon administration was breathing down their necks over the matter. Meryl Streep is terrific as the shy socialite Graham, in over her head as the publisher and well aware that she and Bradlee could wind up in prison for treason. I didn’t care much for Tom Hanks as Bradlee, but the rest of the cast is very good. The screenplay is top notch as well, very tense and fast moving. For a movie that was photographed, completed and released in under seven months, it is a great job all the way, and about as timely as cinema gets. My favorite movie of 2017.

|  IP: Logged

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HBO documentary The Newspaperman about Ben Bradley is also worth a watch.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have not seen this yet, but will asap. I note that Josh Singer, one of the writers, also wrote Spotlight, another very good newspaper drama.

Harold

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2018 10:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had some problems with the movie, but on a technical note, I thought the music and soundmix were the best aspects of the movie: am going to check this out again but this time at a theater that can playback the 7.1 soundmix as such.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2018 07:47 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spielberg went back to flat for this one. Too bad.

Good film! I felt like it left room for a "sequel".

AJG

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2018 09:43 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a sequel, try ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. The closing scene of THE POST, showing the beginnings of the Watergate break in, is the same as the opening of the earlier movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: