Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Shape of Water (2017)

Author Topic: The Shape of Water (2017)
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2017 12:25 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beauty and the Beast meet the cold war. Sally Hawkins is wonderful. We also saw her in Maudie and Happy Go Lucky.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2017 09:19 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SF Ca is not showing this new water 1.85 movie on a decent size theatre screen. Landmark has It at the tiny Embarcadero Cinemas plus the Alamo's New Mission is playing on a small screen upstairs. Star Wars/Greatest Showman has all the large screens booked up in SF. Will have to see It outside of SF. I hear It's a great film and will do good at award time. I just don't understand why a huge large multi cinema has to have the same film playing in 80% of their auditoriums this time at a busy movie time of the year. With so many new movies out we get cheated watching other prints on a tiny screen space. I did a Sneak-0 Rama check last weekend at a large cinema in SF that Star was playing and each auditorium was about 50% full with multi starting times every 30 minutes. The Shape Of Water even though It was shot in 1.85 will look good If It was playing on a large XD screen as the whole screen will show It as most large jumbo screens in SF don't use their masking.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-06-2018 06:58 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Council Bluffs 17, Council Bluffs, IA
AUDITORIUM: 13, SEAT C6
PRESENTATION: AMC Recline-o-Vision in Star Cinema Wall-to-Wall Screen auditorium with Digital projection probably added when Kerasotes owned it with No Masking which is AMC’s contribution to the whole mess
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Center channel was way loud during the trailers, but fine during the feature
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

I enter the lobby and go straight to the ticket taker position, but there’s not only no ticket taker, there’s no equipment to support one. The Purchase Tickets line is long, but I’m not sure what to do, so I get in line.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Finally, it’s my turn, and the seller leaves. Guy behind me: “What the hell?” She’s gone for around five minutes. Finally, she returns and waves me over. I show her my QR code. “Oh! HEY,” she shouts at the line. “IF YOU HAVE MOBILE TICKETS, YOU CAN JUST GO TO YOUR AUDITORIUM!”

“You don’t need to scan them?” I ask.

“Nope. We have your info.”

Well then.

THE PLOT: Amelie meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Wackiness ensues.

What a treat this is! A visual feast of set design and colors with a beautiful soundtrack to match. The script is clearly inspired by the Universal monster catalog, yet being a del Toro feature, the characters have more depth. There’s some silliness to force your brain to settle down about, but I really enjoyed it.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2018 01:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amelie meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon ... [beer] I thought this movie really seemed to merge a whole of bunch of genres into one masterful effect. The cinematography is simply gorgeous.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2018 01:41 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We enjoyed this movie. I think the staff at the Castro Theatre in SF last Monday was surprised at the big turn out for their one day only 3 time showing of Shape Of Water. The best part of this film was the selection of music used. Too bad the Castro does not have good surround speakers. Never hear split surround and the volume of them is very low. Did any of you projection guys see what they had on the floor hallway in the apartment building above the movie theatre in this movie? Yes real film delivery cans on the floor. A projection friend I was with did not notice them till I pointed them out, used about 4 times each time they showed the apartment building hall. One big thing they missed was the outside Orpheum Theatre in Toronto marquee they showed a few times, It had the same two movies showing the whole movie shot over a few weeks time. They needed to put CinemaScope up on the plastic letters also with the movies they ran as both were shot in that process. SOW was a Fox Searchlight film. What was strange the times they did show the large inside scope theatre screen in the background It was not playing the listed movies that were on the marquee. The film had a little shock value bloody segments at times. Great to see a old color 60's round tube TV used many times in the artist apartment but they just showed B&W never any early color shows. Looks like there will be a sequel where the girl will come out of the water and speak for the first time and be pregnant with the creatures baby. Lets hope they shoot in 3D next time. Time for the old Castro in SF to get a new sound system. The little box Castro no volume surround speakers were taken from the Alhambra Theatre in SF many years ago and just hung on the walls. I will have to see this movie again in a better sounding playback cinema system that has split surrounds in the SF Bay Area. Must sound great in a Dolby Atmos house If It was recorded in that system. Go see It as I think It will do good come Oscar time.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2018 12:28 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Terry Monohan
Did any of you projection guys see what they had on the floor hallway in the apartment building above the movie theatre in this movie? Yes real film delivery cans on the floor.
I did notice that, but I thought I also noticed film cans on a shelf in the lab and wondered what del Toro was trying to tell us by all that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: