Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Titanic / Dolby Cinema release (Dec. 2017) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Titanic / Dolby Cinema release (Dec. 2017)
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2017 06:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost the count on how many times I've seen this in the theater but here's yet another release of the movie but this time with Dolby's Cinema 'Vision' color grading for a week's long run at select AMC Dolby Cinema screens:

"SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:DLB), Paramount Pictures, and AMC Theatres® (NYSE:AMC) today announced that Titanic, winner of 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, will return to select theaters nationwide for an exclusive one-week engagement in Dolby Cinema at AMC. In celebration of the film’s 20-year anniversary, audiences across the U.S. can experience Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox’s Titanic in all Dolby Cinema at AMC locations, including 20 locations supporting 3D, beginning December 1, 2017.

A photo accompanying this announcement is available at
http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/8f31cb1e-b193-456f-97e3-87c6c99f7642

This marks the first-ever release of Titanic in Dolby Vision in 2D and 3D, a direct result of ongoing partnerships with both James Cameron and Paramount Pictures.

“We mastered a few minutes of Titanic in Dolby Vision and I was stunned. It was like seeing it for the first time. Now that the entire film has been mastered, I’m excited to share it with audiences across the U.S.,” said filmmaker and director James Cameron. “This is beyond 3D, beyond 70mm, it’s beyond anything you’ve seen before. The image leaps off the screen as bright and vibrant as life itself. This is the way all movies should be seen and without a doubt, Titanic has NEVER looked better.”

“James Cameron shares our vision for creating the world’s best cinematic experiences,” said Doug Darrow, Senior Vice President, Cinema Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. “Our partnership with James and Paramount Pictures has enabled us to showcase a masterpiece of theater in the most incredible way, leveraging Dolby Vision to breathe new life into one of the most awarded films in the history of cinema. Titanic at Dolby Cinema is truly a can’t-miss experience.”

“This timeless love story makes the perfect romantic date - or fun night out with friends,” said Elizabeth Frank, EVP Global Programming and Chief Content Officer, AMC. “Twenty years since it first played in theatres, Titanic in Dolby Cinema at AMC will captivate movie fans like never before.”

~~

"fun night out with friends" is a weird thing to state considering it's about a ship sinking and some 1,503 people died

|  IP: Logged

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2017 08:37 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"fun night out with friends" - maybe the Dolby process turned the movie into a comedy?
Any day I would rather watch Poseidon Adventure - and the 2006 remake - plus Beyond the Poseidon Adventure than have to sit through three hours of Titanic again.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-18-2017 09:24 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well, I bought a ticket immediately upon hearing about this for a 2D show.

AMC Town Center, Leawood, KS, 12/2 at 12:00pm, seat D8 if you want to come make out.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2017 12:40 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear y'ah Sam - I'm trying to find a day and time of the December 4th week to see this [beer]

Sam Graham

- posted 12-02-2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Town Center 20, Leawood, KS
AUDITORIUM: 10, SEAT D8
PRESENTATION: AMC Dolby Recline-o-Vision in Black Void of Space auditorium (2D)
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Noovie was audio only
RATING: Four stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A douchebag rich right-winger is engaged to an underage minor. Wackiness ensues.

I’m really glad that godawful screening of this I had five years ago in 3-D digital IMAX wasn’t my last in a theatre. This screening was a night-and-day difference. Cameron’s comments about this special release being like seeing it for the first time all over again weren’t far off. The clarity was dumbfounding at times.

Attendance was pretty light, unfortunately. This is a movie that needs to be seen in a proper theatre. Much like Avatar, it just loses too much on even the biggest televisions.

Two little boys in the bathroom: “Man! That movie was LONG!”

“Yeah! And LOUD! My ears hurt from all the NOISES!”

Show some respect, kids. You just witnessed a goddamn masterpiece.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2017 08:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was one movie where people would come out and say "Man, that was LOUD!" and they would be grinning!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2017 09:31 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've gotta see this. I'll try to choose the same seat Sam sat in. Hopefully it's still warm.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2017 01:41 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most theaters here in the LA area are only showing it in 3D. I don't want to see Titanic in 3D so I'll most likely have to drive 30 miles away for a 2D showing. I'm just curious if anyone has seen the 3D version? Has this film been remixed in Dolby Atmos?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-03-2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic is not listed on the Dolby web site as having a Dolby Atmos mix. But it doesn't show up on the Dolby Vision list either. So maybe there's a chance Dolby didn't update their stuff properly?

While Dolby Cinema can offer a pretty good movie-going experience I strongly doubt it could top the experience I had of watching Titanic on the GCC Northpark #1 THX screen in Dallas in 70mm DTS. The sheer power and high quality of audio in that theater was amazing. And the scale of the auditorium was one that would always give any new visitor a "woah" reaction. AMC's Dolby Cinema screens are typically not all that big. Plus, add in the common width screen, which letter-boxes the 'scope image. That makes the movie seem even smaller.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ no, from a tweet I got from Dolby, they only did the image color pass, not a new Atmox mix.

as to the presentation I saw yesterday - to have the 3D imagery in the original aspect ratio (not open matted as the IMAX-3D was) was perfect and it's one of the best conversions ... ever.

I never saw the 70mm prints of this, but what I saw, was breathtaking, The colors, the dark inky black, the resolution, it wasn't DNR scrubbed to death like the recent Terminator 2 3D, Dolby actually retained it looking like 'film' - I was floored, it was the best presentation I've seen of the movie (and I've seen it numerous times).

Soundwise, ugh... I am not a fan of what Dolby and AMC did with Tyson's sound system. Given this wasn't an Atmos remix, the 5.1 was hit and miss. Voices sounded sibilant and had a slight echo to them. Bass was excellent, notably when the ship cracks into two and smashes back into the ocean, it literally rattled the walls and floor to spectacular effect (thank god the seats didn't have the vibration turned on - I hate that aspect). All in all though, outside of the minor audio hiccups. I am so glad I didn't miss seeing this on AMC Tyson's Dolby Cinema screen for the world

QUESTION - I know imdb isn't always correct, but WAS 'Titanic' mixed in 8-channel SDDS sound ?? there seems to be some conflicting online information regarding this. I remember my first time seeing/hearing this was at the Pentagon Mall in SDDS sound and it was magnificent.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-06-2017 01:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the SDDS mix of Titanic was standard 5.1.

AMC's Dolby Cinema auditoriums have decent bass. At least it's not weak like that of so many theaters these days. The butt rumblers in the seats are a bit ridiculous and even distracting.

The sub-bass in the old Northpark 1-2 theater was great. It sounded great (very clean, tight, punchy) and was scary powerful when it needed to be. The title card moment in The Lion King was "holy shit" startling. It's one thing to crank that moment in your own home theater system. It's another thing to hear it thundering in a 1000+ seat auditorium. Numerous times while watching Titanic I felt the air in my chest getting rattled. I've experienced that phenomenon vary rarely at other commercial theaters. Some large IMAX theaters had bass powerful enough to thump the air in your chest, but the bass sounded almost as sloppy as that of a low-rider car stereo system.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2017 06:25 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DolbyVision- "Yes"
Atmos - "No"
(According to info I have on my calendar for a
special private VIP screening I'm working next
week AT Dolby's own auditorium in its' headquarters
here in SF)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-06-2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Word to the wise, I would not be talking about private screenings at Dolby's facilities. I assume you want to keep working there and your blurb comes off as bragging to boot, but what do I know?

Sam Graham

- posted 12-06-2017 07:59 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia’s list of SDDS-8 films does NOT include Titanic.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-07-2017 02:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Sam, what do you know! [Wink]

It is generally bad practice to publicly post (or even really discuss) private screenings (takes away from the privateness of it all).

It is one thing to post what is essentially public information (release format, running time...etc, presuming it wasn't a special version of a movie), it is another thing to post where a private screening was run or, god forbid, who/whom was in attendance.

I don't want to sound preachy but I also wouldn't want to see someone harmed who contributes to the discussion. I, like I suspect many others here, have to walk that line between privileged information and public information.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: