Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » It (2017) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: It (2017)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-11-2017 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pretty good horror film from what I've seen...nobody has left in the middle yet, and bathroom traffic is virtually nonexistent during the show -- both good signs. And a few good scream scenes.

So far, so good.

Then they went and ruined it at the end by displaying the title, followed by "CHAPTER ONE" superimposed over it. Crap, now we have umpteen sequels to look forward to.

I haven't seen enough of the movie to give it a star rating, but whatever I would give gets a minus-two for that end-title.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2017 11:00 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there will be umpteen sequels - the book is divided into two halves, the first half with the main characters as children, and the second half with the same characters, now grown up, revisiting the strange events of their childhood. Chapter 2 will presumably be the back half of the book focused on the kids, now grown into adulthood.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2017 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daniel Schulz
Chapter 2 will presumably be the back half of the book focused on the kids, now grown into adulthood.
Fair enough, I didn't know that.

Still, if the second part is a huge success, I wouldn't put it past them coming up with umpteen sequels.

I guess I don't understand why they didn't put "Chapter One" on the poster along with the title, but what the hell....quite often they don't even put the freaking title on the poster at all.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-12-2017 09:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that's something Stephen King would probably have to sign off on. He is such a prolific writer it's possible he already has some sort of sequel/prequel/spin-off already written. The success of this movie could inspire him to put it out there.

I watched IT Sunday night and was really surprised at how much I liked it, given I'm not a fan of horror movies. One of the things that impressed me is the director didn't use overpowering music to build the movie's tension. He also avoided the typical horror movie gimmick of the false scare - where you have are all built up for something scary and a cat jumps out or something else.

I thought virtually everything about this movie was extremely well done, especially the performances of the child actors.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 07:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT was originally a two part television mini series that featured the first part with the children the 1st night and continued with the story thirty years later during the 2nd night with the children all grown up fighting the clown who was meaner and nastier than before. I saw the complete series from a DVD many years ago and remember enjoying it very much and thought it was better than the newly released movie.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-13-2017 08:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard several people say they "saw the first one" and couldn't figure that out because this is the first time it's been a movie, but I guess those people don't know the difference between a real movie and a TV movie, so to them this is a remake.

quote: Justin Hamaker
Mike, that's something Stephen King would probably have to sign off on. He is such a prolific writer it's possible he already has some sort of sequel/prequel/spin-off already written. The success of this movie could inspire him to put it out there.
I'm sure you're right on both counts....there's probably a Pennywise "origin story" rattling around somewhere, if nothing else.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2017 06:11 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'It' also features a rather aural rollercoaster ride through it's Dolby Atmos mix. Talk about 'soft, loud, quiet, LOUD' rhythm and pacing of sound.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-14-2017 06:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reactions here have been mixed....everything from "That was awesome" to "meh." I don't know what the "meh" people were expecting...probably "Saw"-level violence, which this movie doesn't have.

I'm hearing a few comparisons to "Stand By Me," which of course also featured a group of kids, although I don't remember those kids being as foul-mouthed as the kids in this movie.

It's holding up very well mid-week, so that's a good sign it's going to have legs.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2017 10:46 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm in the it (or It) was pretty good camp. I've never seen the miniseries but, having read the book long ago, I guess I expected it to be better.

It was well acted and directed but a bit slow to get going. I also think the opening with the paper boat makes more sense in 1957 when the book was set vs. 1988 when the movie was set. I grew up in the 80's and don't ever recall any friends making paper boats.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

2 1/2 out of 5 stars from me

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-16-2017 03:18 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14, SEAT I17
PRESENTATION: Warren Grand Slope with Regal Roller Coaster Vision Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: The two tallest guys in all of Wichita just HAD to sit right in front of me, and did somebody sneak in Chinese food?
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Stranger Things Season 2. Wackiness ensues.

I'm probably being generous with the rating, but the fact that it had such a Spielberg 80's vibe to it was endearing. It made up for the many issues I had with the movie.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2017 03:37 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm hearing a few comparisons to "Stand By Me," which of course also featured a group of kids, although I don't remember those kids being as foul-mouthed as the kids in this movie.

Go watch Stand By Me again... From Common Sense Media :
quote:
Many uses of "f--k," plus "s--t," "a--hole," "t-ts," "d--k," and more, almost all by teen boys.
I liked "IT" enough to recommend it, but not enough to see it again.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-16-2017 03:49 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horror movies aren't really my favourite genre, but as horror movie go It is pretty good.

I guess the rest comes down to advertising. It is a pretty good movie, but there are a lot of other pretty good movies that don't get anywhere near the crowd that this one is getting.

Not that I'm complaining. [Smile]

So this is what a crowd looks like. It's been so long I had almost forgotten....

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-17-2017 12:19 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that for most of you this one will be the saving grace of the Lost Summer of 2017. It might not entirely compensate months of shallowness, but at least around here it's drawing crowds like most haven't seen in quite a time now.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2017 12:47 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely a saving grace for us. We had a cool rainy summer which never helps outdoors, but these past two weekends have taken us from worst summer (in the 7 years my cash system has data for) to 3rd best, possibly even 2nd when it's all said and done. We're receiving some buzz over some of the upcoming movies, so combined with improved weather and new movies in September for a change, we're quite pleased with "IT".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-17-2017 08:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
Go watch Stand By Me again...
I haven't seen that since we played it, but I guess it was rated R, wasn't it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: