Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Terminator 2: Judgement Day (2017 3D reissue)

Author Topic: Terminator 2: Judgement Day (2017 3D reissue)
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 05:50 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw T2 in Auditorium 12 at the AMC Orchard 12 in Westminster, CO.

I didn't want to see it in 3D, but didn't have a choice. I also didn't want to see it at an AMC theater, but didn't have a choice.

The movie began with the picture completely screwed up. It was like watching it without glasses, even when you put them on. It was unwatchable. Several of us went out immediately to complain, and it took a while to find a manager. We missed the future war prologue. As the manager headed up to the booth, I told him to restart it at the beginning. He didn't. The problem was resolved by the end of the credits.

The center channel sounded clipped or distorted when it played very low frequencies, but it was minor. I was probably the only one who noticed.

The movie holds up well. The first two acts are fantastic. The final shootout/ chase/ battle drags on and on, but it was still fun. I found the 3D to be largely unobtrusive once it was fixed.

There were only about a dozen of us in attendance, including my two kids, one of whom was seeing it for the first time ever. Too bad it wasn't a solid presentation.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 07:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this at AMC Tysons, and I have to say the audio was pretty crappy, no low end or bass reproduction.

I thought the 3D was pretty medium in effect, some gun shots pointing towards the audience were effective but brief and the layering was decent, but on the whole not really necessary overall.

question: is the DCP encoded at 5.1, 7.1 or DTS-X (like the bluray/UHD is going out as)?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-28-2017 04:37 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
I didn't want to see it in 3D, but didn't have a choice. I also didn't want to see it at an AMC theater, but didn't have a choice.
They dragged you into that theater, kicking and screaming. Then they put you in a straight jacket, tied you down to one of those recliner seats and put those Clockwork Orange-style things in your eyes and made you watch until the very end, didn't they? [Smile]

I've not yet seen it and I'm not planning to see it in 3D. I'm wondering if they pulled a "special edition" on this release or did they leave the original picture largely intact and just added depth cues?

Also, I'm wondering how many theaters presented it in the failed CDS format back in 1991.

quote: Jonathan Goeldner
question: is the DCP encoded at 5.1, 7.1 or DTS-X (like the bluray/UHD is going out as)?
No Atmos on this release, at least not in the European distribution. The 4K BluRay re-release most likely was just a polished version, where the newfangled MDA soundtracks were most likely also just some polished version of the 6-track original.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[raises hand] I heard it in CDS at UA Bethesda - and wow, was it a soundmix!!!

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2017 06:58 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 15 when T2 first came out, and I remember we specifically went to see it at the Loews Memorial City 8 theatre here in Houston after seeing on the news about it having some advanced sound system and it being the "future of cinema audio". In retrospect, I'm thinking that was also probably CDS. IIRC it might had been 70mm, too.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2017 01:34 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason McMillan
I was 15 when T2 first came out, and I remember we specifically went to see it at the Loews Memorial City 8 theatre here in Houston after seeing on the news about it having some advanced sound system and it being the "future of cinema audio". In retrospect, I'm thinking that was also probably CDS. IIRC it might had been 70mm, too.
quote: Marcel Birgelen
I'm wondering how many theaters presented ["Terminator 2] in the failed CDS format back in 1991.
The (North American) answer can be found here (Film-Tech posting) or here (original version with images and proper formatting and layout). Sorry, I can't comment on how "T2" was handled in the rest of the world.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2017 05:35 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
So why didn't you watch it at home instead? I have more editions of this movie than I can count- and I have the 3D Blu-Ray on order from the UK (since it won't be released here) just because I love 3D even when it's fake. I heard they did tweak a few things in this release, such as one shot where you could originally tell that it was the stuntman and not really Arnold. Whatever, I've still got the original version.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2017 08:12 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

I value seeing movies on the big screen. Terminator 2 should be a larger-than-life, where you feel like the giant black tow-truck is chasing you down the storm channel. It's more exhilarating than watching it at home. I wanted to share that experience with my kids.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-29-2017 06:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse, do you know if the UK version of T2 in 3D is region free? Some say it will be and others said it will not. The Amazon UK site say it is Region B just like they said The live action BEAATY & THE BEAST will be but it turned out to be region free. I do not have a region free player and want to get the 3d disc but will not order until I know for sure if it will be region free. Damm, Lionsgste for not releasing it in 3D in the U.S!

BTW, I first saw T2 during it's original 1st run at the Waikiki #3 here in Honolulu in 70mm and it was a fantastic experience!

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2017 08:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude - Amazon denotes Region B for a lot of discs that are no released as such. But since this is a Lionsgate release this might unfortunately be true. I'd wait for Hong Kong / Japanese markets to announce their editions, which WILL be Region A.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: