Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Logan Lucky (2017)

Author Topic: Logan Lucky (2017)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-19-2017 09:32 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Marcus Wehrenberg (he was the star wide receiver of your high school football team) Bloomington Galaxy Cine 14 + IMAX, Bloomington, IL
AUDITORIUM: 5
PRESENTATION: Marcus Recline-o-Vision Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Sound was godawful but functioning as designed, projector fan audible in auditorium (booth window open?)
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

This is one of those terrible two-tier stadium seating auditoriums Wehrenberg built where the lower tier is in a cement pit and the front row was so close to the screen you could plant your feet against the cement wall. In the new recliner setup, that row improves as it's back further and you're reclined enough that you won't strain your neck staring straight up.

The other dumb thing...and this may be new...is there's only stairs on one side of the auditorium to access the upper tier, and they're on the opposite side of the main room entrance. The seats go all the way to the wall on the other side.

Marcus recognizes the heritage of the Wehrenberg name and is still using a mix of Marcus and Wehrenberg policy trailers and even some listing the company as "Marcus Wehrenberg". The Wehrenberg jingle is STILL THERE, kitties.

THE PLOT: A bunch of dumb hicks plan a high-level elablorate heist. Wackiness ensues.

There's a joke in the movie where they refer to the heist as "Ocean's 7-11". That pretty well sums it up. It's a low-rent take on something we've seen before from the same director.

But it's brain-dead fun that has strong potential to become a classic with rednecks.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-28-2017 05:14 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into it with low expectations, because practically everything Steven Soderbergh did since his remake of Ocean's Eleven, back in 2001 was kind of meh.

While in Ocean's Eleven, his somewhat spasmodic style fits the movie, it became "trademark-lame" and rather distrurbing in the subsequent sequels.

This movie follows that same style and it takes a while to unfold as a heist movie. In the end I think it was one of his better movies since the one, that will most likely become his magnum opus: the remake of a 60's heist movie.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2017 09:14 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally (sort of) used your line on my "Coming Attractions" page last week Sam.

"Bunch of guys decide to rob a Nascar race. Hilarity ensues."

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-07-2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Bird
"Bunch of guys decide to rob a Nascar race. Hilarity ensues."
[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: