Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » A Ghost Story (2017)

Author Topic: A Ghost Story (2017)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-28-2017 09:28 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Ordinary stadium seating with Regal Roller Coaster Vision Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A guy dies. Wackiness ensues.

Fandango classifies this under Romance. What the fuck were they smoking when they watched this? It starts out looking like it'll be your classic "Always" or "Ghost" situation, but it isn't romance-wise. It is in the letting go aspect.

It's beautifully shot, which is good because the story is mostly told visually. There's long spaces with no dialogue. And it's hauntingly lonely. The sparse music, dialogue, and long dwelling shots help that out.

Definitely not a date movie, but a great movie for the right crowd.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2017 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ghost of a young man who was killed in an auto accident just feet from his driveway finds that he is stuck at the home he shared with his wife, perhaps for eternity. At Cinemapolis, Ithaca, New York

A haunted house story told from the standpoint of the ghost, this is a nearly plotless and very slow-moving film. As an example, when the recently deceased’s wife returns home to find that a friend has left her a large pumpkin pie, there is a roughly ten-minute scene where she sits on the floor and, through her tears, hoarks down the entire thing while the ghost of her husband (who appears as a guy in a sheet with two eye-holes) watches. That’s actually the action highlight of the movie, but don’t be put off or you’ll miss a moving, well done picture. Being a ghost is a pretty lonely occupation, as it turns out, especially if you are stuck in one place for eternity and must watch various others live in your house after your pretty wife moves on. On the other hand, he has it better than the morose ghost in the next house over who he occasionally says hello to and who seems to be waiting for people who never arrive. Time marches on for the both of them, and then seems to go backwards as well. There’s a verbose explanation for all this midway through the film from a philosophical stoner who moves into the house after the ghost chases away another family. Listen carefully.

This glacially paced movie isn’t going to be for everybody, the first time I saw it at a shopping mall AMC about a third of the small audience walked, but at a second viewing at a college-town arthouse the audience seemed to get into it. I did to, one of the best films I’ve seen this year, a hell of a lot better than the mind-numbing Valerian which I had seen earlier in the day.

The film is presented in 1:37 with rounded corners, watching it reminded me of my old View-Master projector.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: