Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Atomic Blonde (2017)

Author Topic: Atomic Blonde (2017)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-28-2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal Warren East, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: Warren 21 Recline-o-Vision in Regal Roller Coaster-Vision Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: There's an important list to be found that has Casey Casem's Top 40 Hits of the 80's. Or Cold War double agents. Whatever. Wackiness ensues.

I have a proposal for a new genre name for these John Wick-style movies..."Actiongasm." Nearly non-stop stylish action sequences full of slo-mo fights and flying blood and glass and whatever else.

As it goes, this is a pretty good Actiongasm. Charlize Theron is awesome every second she's on the screen, which is pretty much always. There's a nearly nonstop 80's soundtrack that will have you reliving your MTV days. John Goodman is fun as the dickish CIA guy. The visuals of Cold War-era Berlin are sometimes period solid and sometimes period parody. Some of Theron's character's wardrobe choices are hilarious.

The movie's title almost seems to be a joke itself, since Theron's charcter bears a striking resemblance to Blondie's Atomic-era Deborah Harry.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2017 09:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the term "Actiongasm" BUT I don't remember any Slo-Mo in the fights scenes (John Wick too but I might be misremembering)and they are definitely shot better then the Jason Bourne movies.

I keep hearing praise for the soundtrack but all they did was steal the soundtrack from "Grosse Point Blank" practically song for song.

Anyway, I thought it was decent. Not as good as the first John Wick but about the same as the second (In my humble opinion).

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2017 05:26 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so far the best Dolby Cinema presentation I saw at AMC Tysons. In terms of an action movie - it totally delivered. As to the audio mixing of the movie I thought it was odd that the majority of the songs were mixed and output predominantly through the left channel, it's a creative choice but when heard as such, it sounds off.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 08-31-2017 12:43 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this movie a lot. EAnd they play Davie Bowie's Cat People theme near the beginning -- that always sounds absolutely awesome when played on a good sound system.

It's unfortunate that part of the twist ending was included in the trailer -- that pretty much deflated the hotel room scene near the end.

Good movie. It certainly kept me entertained.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: