Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dunkirk (2017) 5/70mm Version (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dunkirk (2017) 5/70mm Version
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2017 08:40 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Garden State Plaza 16 - Paramus NJ
AUDITORIUM: 15 (Same as H8)
FORMAT: 5/70mm

TRAILERS:

Bladerunner 2049 (70mm)
Justice League (70mm)

The film looked and sounded great. The projection presentation was excellent, my only negative is that while the auditorium has movable top/bottom masking, they ran the film "letterboxed" within the 1.85 common width masking.

I really liked the film. It moved right along, telling it's story without any pretentious fluff and extended sub-plots that plagues too many these days.

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2017 11:50 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Arclight Cinemas Hollywood
AUDITORIUM: Cinerama Dome

TRAILERS:

Bladerunner 2049 (70mm)
Looked like it was a 2k scan out to film, it had lots of digital noise in the image.

Justice League (70mm)
Matted to 1.85:1 which is NOT what the movie is. Clearly someone made a mistake along the line.

The film looked and sounded great. Some slight registration issues noted, but no flicker or any other projection or print issues. Focus was perfect from the center to nearly the edge, which is hard to do on a curved screen. The projector does have a mask for the curved screen, so it for sure cropped some of the movie, but not much. The soundtrack was loud and vibrant with excellent LFE and good surround effects.

The print had no cue marks what so ever and the splices were practically unnoticeable. I think this print was shipped assembled to the theater.

Arclight never ceases to amaze me. They showed a digital 3D movie in that auditorium right before Dunkirk and the 70mm showing went off without a hitch. To me, that's stellar and they get another gold star in my book.

I really enjoyed the movie, Nolan has got another blockbuster on his hands.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2017 11:56 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Justice League digital trailers are 1:85 as well so it would be a safe guess it is a 1:85 film.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-21-2017 10:07 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic; it's way too early to tell if Justice League will spark more of a trend of major studios making movies taller. Nearly all the premium priced screens in movie theaters are common width and show 'scope movies letter-boxed and unmasked (just like the TV at home!). Marvel's Infinity War Parts 1 & 2 are supposed to be shot with an IMAX-modded Arri Alexa 65 fit with vertical anamorphic lenses. Chances are good those movies will be released flat.

I'm trying to plan a trip down to Dallas to see Dunkirk, but it's tricky with my girlfriend's daughter and son in law in town visiting. We may take a day off early next week to do so. Dunkirk had a 70mm show at AMC Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City. It's a closer drive, but I didn't really like their setup for The Hateful Eight.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2017 10:49 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Westminster Promenade did a great job presenting the 5/70MM version at 4PM today. There was a little red light on the bottom corners from he aisle lighting, and there some extremely minor registration jitter, but I was pleased. Looked and sounded great from the third row!

I'm mixed. David Edelsein's review on NPR echoed my feelings. Nolan does a great job of putting you into the film, but his non-linear storytelling is too clever for its own good.

I'll be curious to see if Dunkirk finds large audiences in the U.S. If I had to bet, I'd say no...

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-22-2017 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THEATER: Cinemark Rio 24, Albuquerque, NM
HOUSE: 13 (their biggest screen)
RESERVED SEATS: K20/K21 $7.50 senior discount (Yay!)

70mm TRAILERS: Bladerunner 2049, Justice League (pillarboxed 1.85 on the 2.20 screen)

Caught the opening 6pm show on Thursday 6/20

The Rio had to move the BL&S JJ 70mm installation package to be on their biggest screen, so this was a fresh install, not the one they used for H8 (which I didn't get to see since I was running H8 on another screen out of town).

I rarely say this about theater presentation technical reviews these days... it was FLAWLESS! None of my usual nit-picks and quibbles here, didn't need to. Lamp focus/centering/flicker, plate filing, image steadiness and focus, screen masking, print cleanliness and condition, room tuning and sound playback level - all spot on. This was a wonderful example of "Film Done Right!" My hat's off to the projectionist and technician that did/is doing this screen. I can only hope that my own shows look and sound this good!

I'll be back again in a couple of weeks to see how the print holds up, assuming I don't get pulled in by WB as a replacement Dunkirk projectionist somewhere. With this one, the Rio 24 is off to a great start!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2017 01:07 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one has mentioned that the Blade Runner trailer is letterboxed to 2.39. There should be a little black top and bottom if they are showing Dunkirk at a proper 2.2

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 - New York, NY
DATE/TIME: July 22nd, 2:00pm
AUDITORIUM: Loews

TRAILERS: Blade Runner 2049 (letterboxed 2.39:1); Justice League (pillarboxed 1.85:1) - both in 70mm.

PROBLEMS:

About 10 minutes into the feature, the projector and sound stopped and the lights came up. We waited for around 5 or so minutes until a lady came to the auditorium and said "they are fixing the 70mm. You can choose to wait until it comes back on the screen, or go outside and ask for a refund." One man asked "how long do we have to wait?" She responded that she didn't know, and by the grace of God, the movie came back on the screen with sound right where it left off, and the lights went down again. It should be noted that before the projectionist paused the film, a couple of vertical scratches were visible on the screen. It is likely the show was interuppted to fix the projector from damaging the print any further.

Print was steady, some dirt but 95% spotless. No vertical scratches were ever seen again further into the film. Absolutely no changeover cues on the print, but I was still able to tell when a new reel started by that black horizontal line that typically flashes at the start of a new reel in a platter presentation.

Focus wasn't good on the bottom margin of the screen. This wasn't really noticeable until the scrolling credits at the end. Although to its faults, the Loews screen is curved, and it's quite a big throw from the projector.

Sound was perfectly fine. This is an Atmos-capable auditorium, so the LFE (and presumably the surround sub-bass) went to my ribcage at times. JBL speakers. I was seated at row R if that matters.

Below-to-mediocre presentation at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13, which is also playing this film in 15/70mm IMAX. I would've preferred to go to City Cinemas 1, 2, 3 for this event because they reguarly play 5/70mm prints since Warner Bros. started making more of them again, but since I was with a group we went to the familiar and beloved AMC location. Also, the Loews auditorium has one of the best sound systems in New York.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-22-2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen in 5/70.

I enjoyed the film very much and consider it to be Nolan's best. It is not for everyone, but I liked it. It is short enough to not wear out its welcome. I do wonder if there will be any value in repeat viewings.

I am not sure how much this particular film benefits from the large format. The composition tends towards close-ups and the cutting is relatively fast. I am not complaining about the improved picture quality, but I think that it would have worked just as well in 35mm. In any case, I have seen material shot on 5/70 that looked shaper than this 15/70 reduction to 5/70.

The print that I saw was pristine in every way. This was at an existing 70mm venue.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2017 12:58 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Connor Wilson
Also, the Loews auditorium has one of the best sound systems in New York.
I saw the Dark Knight in that room on 35mm during its release. Glad to know it still sounds good in there. One of the best audio experiences I ever had in a cinema.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2017 10:57 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I do wonder if there will be any value in repeat viewings.
Every time I wonder that about a Nolan film, then see one on a repeat viewing, I then wonder why I wondered if the repeat would have any value! In retrospect, it seems like there's always more than enough depth to go around again.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2017 05:42 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: City Cinemas, Cinemas 1, 2 & 3 - New York, NY
DATE/TIME: July 26th, 12:45pm
AUDITORIUM: Cinema 1

TRAILERS: 2017 Chevorlet Equinox advert (DCP, pillarboxed 1.78:1); Wind River (DCP, letterboxed 2.39:1); An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power (DCP, full 1.85:1); Blade Runner 2049 (70mm, letterboxed 2.39:1); Justice League (70mm, pillarboxed 1.85:1).

Suffice to say, smoother than Lincoln Square. The screen in Cinema 1 is common height, so to add some flair of showmanship, the DCP trailers and the masking were set to Flat. At the end of the Inconvenient Sequel trailer, the audio cut off (perhaps switiching from DCI to Datasat). The masking opened up from the sides to 2.2:1 as the Blade Runner trailer began in 70mm. In spite of the 2K source, contrast was improved over the digital trailers from their DLP projector, and overall steadiness was improved, and dirt was less visible, than Saturday's Lincoln Square show. The entire feature played all the way through with no interruptions.

If you want to catch a first-run 70mm engagement at NYC, look no further than this indie tri-plex between 60th Street and 3rd Avenue. They have been committed to Warner's recent slew of 70mm blow-ups from Digital Intermediate, since Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and their presentation quality has improved since. Dunkirk is special because its 5/70mm prints have been sourced from an interpositive direct from the 65mm negatives and reduction negatives for most of the 15/70mm IMAX footage. It's a unique, grain-free, pixel-free, high-resolution way to experience the film aside from the letterboxed DCP in its 4K Flat container (which I haven't seen but don't plan to). Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography is admitedly soft and hazy, whether it was intentionally so for aesthetics or whatever generations lost in the 5/70 photochemical finish be it the reduction negs or the digitally-comped shots. I did hear that the 15/70mm IMAX version was sharper, but the standard 65mm shots looked worse through the DMR. I might check out 15/70 Dunkirk one day at Lincoln Square, if I get a good day to go and good seats.

No issues with sound, it's just kind of a downgrade from the Loews auditorium at Lincoln Square. It's quieter, and the same problems I've had with dialog intelligibility (that I didn't mention) at Loews are still problematic at Cinema 1. It has to be at fault with the sound mix, which Nolan is notorious for. Maybe it's not as bad as The Dark Knight Rises, but I think it's worse than Interstellar in 35mm Dolby Digital, a film which had tons of complaints in relation to the sound. Maybe some more EQ and extra months at the mixing room could have helped. For reference, it took 6 months to complete the sound mix for Interstellar.

Focus was perfect, end credits were sharp from top to bottom. Plate firing was great, but I did notice a tiny bit of edge feathering on the right-hand side. At Loews, there was feathering at the top (or was it bottom?) side, and since the screen had more of a curve, there was more distortion. Distortion was still visible at Cinema 1 but nowhere near as much. It has a curved screen too, but not as deep. Oh, and Cinema 1's print had changeover cues, thin white circles without any marking filled in.

Superior presentation than the famous AMC Lincoln Square, but around $4 more expensive for the ticket. All three screens at Cinemas 1, 2 & 3 have all reclining seats. Comfy, and modern for a place built in the early-1960s. The seats at Loews are stuck in 1994, but I guess to its benefit. Quantity over quality, and Loews is a big place for premieres and large crowds.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2017 09:36 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Leawood Town Center 20
Theater 12, I believe the same auditorium they had H8 in.
BL&S projector #34
Thursday 7/27/2017, 4:00 pm

I still think there's a tiny shutter timing issue with this guy, seems a little too strobey in the light scenes.

Print looked good after a full week of shows, aside from some very light base side platter looking scratches on the mid-left side of the screen

Movie is different, as has been mentioned, more like a fictional chronicling of events. I liked it. It really made me FEEL, and feel I did. I can't begin to imagine the sense of hopelessness, defeat, etc......... Crazy.

Sure is nice to see film on screen....

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2017 10:29 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Atlantic Station Auditorium 5: Saw the regular 70MM presentation. Since i missed the first 5 min, i headed over to the IMAX (digital) version that was playing right after this ended. I gotta say this theater certainly did 70MM no favors.
I actually preferred the digital IMAX presentation. The regular 70MM presentation suffered from flicker, light uniformity at times. A well presented 35MM could possibly wow the audience more than a by the numbers 70MM presentation. But imagine a young person listening to the 70MM hype, go see this ,and then wonder what the fuss is about. It does not help that most people aren't even aware that the top choice is 70MM Imax and think the standard 70MM is the top choice. Not to mention that the wide aspect ratio in the standard 70MM actually shows less of an image than the IMAX presentations. Way to kill off standard 70MM if more theaters show it like this theater does. They also showed Hateful Eight and that image was just OK too. OK doesn't cut it when you are trying to preserve a format for the masses.

The digital lieMAX version was brighter and steadier than the standard 70MM version. The picture density seemed a tad better on regular 70MM, but can't tell if that is just my perception bias.

The movie itself was typical Nolan aloofness. A lot of quiet moments punctuated by loud sounds. It would have been nice if the visuals could have conveyed why the allied troops had to vacate the beaches and how cornered they really were and why there werent any other options. The aerial fights were just too isolated to get a sense of how cornered a certain group was or how tough or creative one would have to be go after that German plane.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2017 02:43 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A day later, and i actually feel less generous to the movie. It won't make my top 10 of the year list. Hell, I find the war scenes in Atonement more interesting than the clean spread out look of this movie. he should have chosen a different war incident to chronicle if his main emphasis was the sight and sound. The real story behind Dunkirk is really the people and the compromises and live for another day compromises that had to be made. If anything, the german side would have been fascinating to see what kind of debates they must have had in pacing themselves allowing the British more time to leave.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: