Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lion (2016)

Author Topic: Lion (2016)
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lion (2016)

No admission prices posted. Tried to overcharge me for senior tickets vs the price listed on their web site. Lobby dirty, not cleaned from prior shows. Stale popcorn. Pre-Show out of focus, feature ok (I don't understand this, being both were from the same digital projector). Nobody closed the door to the auditorium at the start of the show, letting light leak in. Scope feature letterboxed on a screen masked for 1.85.

The film itself:

Based upon the book of a young kid who got separated from his family in rural India, and ended up in Calcutta over a thousand miles away where almost everyone spoke a different language and nobody had ever heard of the town he said he came from (he was mispronouncing it, so the authorities could not find it). After leading a miserable life as a street kid, and then ending up in an orphanage/prison where the guards rented out the kids for sex, he was adopted by a couple in Australia where he finally had a good upbringing. While loving/valuing his adopted parents, he is driven to find his birth family, and eventually after many years does.

The film itself was actually pretty good. I normally don't go in for films about unhappy people leading unhappy lives, but this film held my interest from beginning to end. The story, the acting, the cinematography and music score were excellent.

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 03:34 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rio Theater, Overland Park, KS

Fantastic surviving art-deco single screen theater. Absolutely loved it. A few details could've used some attention, but nothing major or worth mentioning.

Movie was great as well, really kept me engrossed through the entire thing. Found myself tearing up several times. Would recommend.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 09:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even though it had a lot of TV ads and such, I am surprised the movie didn't get a wider audience - it won the audience award at the Middlesburg Virginia Film Festival where I saw it in October. I'd put this in my top ten favourite movies of 2016.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: