Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » A Dog's Purpose

Author Topic: A Dog's Purpose
Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2017 06:26 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was bizarre. I'm going to have a hard time explaining how I felt about it.

If you've seen the trailer, you know the movie follows the many lives of one particular dog's soul, Bailey.

I found myself interested in each story, but repeatedly disappointed in how shallow each one seemed. Perhaps it was the perspective.

I found myself wondering why Bailey HAD to go back to that one particular life.

I found myself extremely frustrated with the actions of most the humans, probably for good reason.

And I found myself getting downright angry with how much I kept crying. Holy hell. I should've brought napkins.

By the end of the movie I was so emotionally drained I guess I just checked out, I pretty much missed the end or I guess the point of it all.

I left with a very weird taste in my mouth, but I certainly wouldn't say it was wasted time, nor would I recommend against seeing this feature. I'll probably end up watching it again. Or at least the end.

3.5/5

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2017 10:19 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love dogs, and this film intrigues me, but I just don't know if I can handle the emotional feelercoaster that I know is in store.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-03-2017 08:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing catch-up before "Beauty and the Beast" comes in, so we're playing this movie right now.

I liked the movie, mostly due to the fun commentary by Josh Gad voicing the dog in his various lives. The dog's "bad behavior" was a little beyond cute and would have caused some families to trade him in for a better-behaved model, but it was played for comedy so in a family-film kind of way, that was OK. Most of adult "action" felt kind of tacked-on and overdone.

All of which can be explained away because it's a "family film" and they tend not to be so realistic, but this movie DOES have an ending that packs an emotional punch. Or rather, it's supposed to. The emotional and should-have-been-a-surprise ending was completely ruined by the trailer, which basically tells the entire story including the "reveal" near the end.

So for me, what could have been a nice experience with a really heart-touching ending was like watching a rerun of a sitcom episode I already saw. It makes me feel bad for having played the trailer over the past couple months, knowing the audience's experience is going to be similarly ruined. Should have just put up a slide instead.

Thanks a lot, trailer editors. You're a bunch of freaking idiots.

2.5 stars out of 5 from me.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-03-2017 09:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Mike. They could have included Dennis Quaid in the trailer without giving away the significance of his part.

I would describe the movie as an emotional sandwich where the bread was the most interesting part. I felt the stories/lives between the main story were far less interesting than the beginning and end story.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: