Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hidden Figures

Author Topic: Hidden Figures
Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2017 07:19 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best sort of feel-good story because the "Hollywood ending" is true, and in the course of the story some issues are improved upon that should never have existed to begin with. The story? Three African-American women shatter stereotypes and segregation by their sheer brilliance, and make that racial segregation rightly look stupid in the process. Oh, and along the way, they become critical figures in helping NASA catch up and pass Russia in the space race.

The movie was entirely pleasant. Even when you know what's coming, we found it quite satisfying to see how it unfolded. Our mostly Caucasian, somewhat Hispanic audience broke out into applause twice before the credits and again at the end. Part of the pleasant visual quality is, no doubt, due to it being shot on film.

This is a great movie for families, because the PG-inducing language content is comparatively mild, and the opportunities for discussion are ripe. If, like me, you didn't grow up around segregation, it's hard to imagine having to live under those awful prejudices. This reminder is quite a sight, but never militant, ugly, or pugnacious.

Saw this last weekend at Edwards Valencia Dim-Bulb Palace, screen 5. Didn't look quite scope but we were sitting to the side and the large screen is curved. And this is a large screen. The Sony single-lens projector was surprisingly bright, which pleased me greatly for a change. Alignment needed help though, because the image spilled into the top masking an amount equivalent to that which had no image at the screen bottom (about 6-9 inches). Also, maintenance was needed as bright solid images, especially noticeable during the previews, gave away some purple or green unevenesses and a darker spot in the bottom center. Some of my family members noticed, and others were clueless.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2017 11:16 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also was thoroughly impressed by this movie. Great recent win for Best Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture at the Screen Actor's Guild

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2017 12:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this yesterday and its a really great film that deserves the Oscar nominations it got. I highly reccomend it.

There is also an upcoming movie about Gene Kranz that I don't want to miss seeing...

https://www.releases.com/p/mission-control-the-unsung-heroes-of-apollo?showDone=true

Mark

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2017 01:44 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw on Friday; thoroughly enjoyed.

Mark: Didn't know about Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes of Apollo; It's not on the New Zealand release schedule so it doesn't look like it's coming here, a bit annoying.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-26-2017 04:21 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hidden Figures is my favorite of the Oscar nominated movies. I thought the racial issues were handled well and in a way that made the story accessible for general audiences.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 12:09 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just saw Hidden Figures at the Old Town Arvada CO Landmark theater. As others have said, it's a GREAT film! I am always amazed with how recently segregation was common. A nice touch at this presentation was a woman came into the auditorium before the film started and introduced it, told some of the history, etc. It was a great introduction and really added to the film.

Harold

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 07:31 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold,

How is the presentation at the Landmark Old Town? I haven't been there, but I live < 30 minutes away. Are the screens big? How is the projection? Sound?

Geoff

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 09:21 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looked very good to me. Also, they do not blast you out of the room with the preshow. As I recall, there was some on-screen preshow material with trivia and ads, but it was all just on the screen with soft music playing in the background. They did run trailers at a normal but not excessive level. The screen is curved, and I did not notice how masking was handled. On some of the preshow material, I did see exposed screen outside the picture area, but did not notice that during the feature. I should probably pay more attention to the presentation, but it was good enough (perhaps excellent) to make the feature excellent.

Harold

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2017 09:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark generally does a pretty good job of presentation. I wish they had theaters here.

Mark

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 09:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ actually twice now Landmark Bethesda didn't properly display 'Jackie' by masking off the top and bottom, and then for Silence they somehow managed to leave the entire screen open so that image had letterboxed borders above and below the image

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: