Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Moana

Author Topic: Moana
Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2016 08:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater: Edwards dim-bulb Grand Palace, Valencia, CA
Screen: 4
Presentation: Sony dual-head 3D projector running 2D; generic 5.1 or 5.0, couldn't tell
Presentation plusses: The sound system has an unusually pleasingly warm tone. Because this was originally a film house, they use proper masking and change it between pre-show and show. This is a beautiful theater. The rest room was really clean.

Presentation minuses: pre-show is bigger than the show due to common width; picture is dim; picture "smiles" at the bottom corners due to poor alignment; the whole thing could've been louder; bass end was shallow.
Presentation rating: 2.5 of 4 stars; not bad, just lackluster
Movie rating: 3 of 4 stars

Plot summary: A young pacific islander is chosen by the ocean to return Te Ka's stolen heart. You-know-what ensues.

If you're any sort of fan of animation in general, Disney musicals, or Hamilton's Lin-Manuel Miranda in particular, you'll be sure to find something to like about this show. Lasseter's leadership at the Disney studio has fine-tuned this studio machine in a good way. Here is an entire world of characters, mythology, design, and music that strikes me as being strikingly unique; yet at the same time, it's all strangely familiar and comfortable. Some of it is predictable, and there are a few cheap laughs, yet overall we as a family found this thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable. And I defy you to get "Shiny" out of your head once it gets stuck there!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: