Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Underworld: Blood Wars

Author Topic: Underworld: Blood Wars
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2016 12:50 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underworld: Blood Wars follows on from Underworld: Awakening which opened up the ongoing vampire\lycan war to the wider human world and introduced a daughter of our vamp heroine, Selene (Kate Beckinsale), and vampire\lycan hybrid beau, Michael Corvin. In this new entry to a franchise which has been running 13 years now, Selene must protect her daughter from new lycan villain, Marius (Tobias Menzies), who requires the hybrid sprog's blood for his nefarious, master plan.

The film fan in me loves the Underworld movies whilst the film critic in me says, "why on earth do you subject yourself to this nonsense?" Yes, it's easy to be critical of this franchise but the truth is I have a soft spot for vampires and werewolves combined with action violence, and a somewhat less soft spot for Kate Beckinsale in heels, skin-tight black vinyl and twin fully automatic pistols.

The plot is strictly by the numbers and the horror quotient is probably lower than it's ever been in this series (bar, perhaps, one or two moments) but the fantasy action keeps things interesting enough. Some stunning continuity errors means you probably shouldn't follow the proceedings too closely but rather just enjoy the ride.

In the end, Underworld: Blood Wars is an average entry into an increasingly tired franchise (which isn't done yet!) and is really just a stop gap for its existing fan base.

6.5 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2016 09:27 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a four year wait from 'Awakening' ? this is the same waiting time between the last and the next 'Resident Evil' movie, hope both are decent.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: