Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ghostbusters (2016)

Author Topic: Ghostbusters (2016)
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original release of Ghostbusters is not a masterpiece. No, shuttup, it's not! It was a mildly enjoyable slice of 80's cheese aided by a mega pop hit released on gimmicky coloured vinyl. It stands as a monument of marketing genius more so than a milestone in masterpiece film making. Personally, I've never understood it's enduring popularity; I've not sat through it's entirety since it's initial theatrical release.

So, naturally, my expectations for this reboot(?) were not high. I was hoping for something fun but not necessarily mind blowing and this is pretty much what Ghostbusters 2016 is.

The strength of the new Ghostbusters is in its principal female cast - Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. The women have great chemistry; they form a funny and sassy team and this experiment to flip the gender of the principals is largely successful. It's certainly a better idea than giving the team a dog or a baby to look after.

The weak link here, as it turns out, is Chris Hemsworth whose imbecile receptionist character is, well, just an imbecile. You get the distinct impression that he is going for something funny here but he's really just an idiot. Perhaps those who are appropriately inclined find him cute but this little duck, I'm afraid, found him charmless.

Neil Casey stands in for the Rick Moranis role and is funnier and much less irritating.

In the end Ghostbusters is, well, Ghostbusters. This new version is easily as fun as the original and, indeed, I may actually watch this one again.

7 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2016 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the new one yet, but I agree with you about the original -- I never did understand the rabid appeal of it. It's got some laughs (mostly due to Bill Murray's and Rick Moranis' deadpan delivery) but I never really thought it was amazingly wonderful. Just OK.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 11:00 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the cast, but sheesh, the script was lame, forced unfunny humor and largely inconsistent. Loved the 3D IMAX presentation, the breaking out of the FX shots, and other assorted items, was a blast

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the movie today at the AMC Metreon in SF. What great 3-D effects on this film. Loved the way they shot in a letterbox type and then showed many 3-D effects out of the top and bottom of the screen. Best 3-D I have seen in the last 5 years. So nice to see effects pop off the screen at times. Will get It on 3-D Blue Ray when It comes out.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2016 12:19 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so apparently Sony lost $75 million - looks like the sequel might not happen:

http://collider.com/ghostbusters-2-unlikely/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: