Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Frank Zappa: Eat That Question (2016)

Author Topic: Frank Zappa: Eat That Question (2016)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2016 07:48 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The life and career of Frank Zappa, as related through archival concert and interview footage. At the Film Forum, New York City (in 1:33).

Frank Zappa was one of the best social critics America ever produced, in an interview, he could get his point across humorously while all the while subtly mocking and deflating the interviewer. Sometimes he turned his social commentary into music, and the results could be hysterically funny, but also sometimes atonal, bizarre and unlistenable. This goes for his “serious” works as well, there are scenes in the film of him rehearsing the London Symphony Orchestra in some of his orchestral music, the members looking at him with boredom and incredulity. There’s also a lot of behind-the-scenes footage from the making of 200 Motels, honestly one of the worst movies I have ever had the pleasure of projecting.

But based mostly on his early albums I still consider myself somewhat a fan, and this movie was pretty fun to watch. All the archival footage is very well restored and presented, and takes FZ from a very early television appearance on the Steve Allen Show playing a bicycle as a musical instrument, through the Mothers of Invention and his later bands, up to his struggles with Congress and Tipper Gore over obscenity in lyrics. In one telling sequence, he describes his wife Gail as “a mean little . . . .”, a pretty interesting quote given all the current family drama and dysfunction going on over his son Dweezil’s band and the way she divided his estate.

Zappa wasn’t for everyone, but if you are a already a Frank fan, you’ll have a good time. If you are not, this movie isn’t going to make you one.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2016 02:57 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a number of pre-release press screenings of this last month.

One day I sat down & watched it and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected
I would. Also gave me a whole new perspective on Mr Z, who turns out was
a great businessman & a LOT smarter than I suppose I thought he was.

Liked it so much- - I wound up watching it twice, and invited a couple
of friends to one screening, who were equally entertained.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: