Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Midnight Special (2016)

Author Topic: Midnight Special (2016)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the FBI and the members of a religious cult search for the kidnappers of a young boy with extraordinary powers, who is intent on a rendezvous with someone along the Gulf Coast. At the Regal Union Square Theatres, New York City.

This is a B-grade science fiction movie of the “I don’t belong on this planet and I want to go home” genre. Very little of it makes any sense at all, and writer-director Jeff Nichols has seen Starman, like, a zillion times. That having been said it’s still pretty watchable, even exciting in parts. The young man in question is NOT a space alien, y’see, he’s . . . something else. He sure has some serious powers going on, not the least of which is the ability to intercept and understand satellite transmissions with his mind (and, in one startling scene, to seriously mess with the same satellites if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing). The action scenes are well staged, and the actors are very good. Overall, the picture walks the fine line between interesting and hokey, and at about ninety minutes in you may find yourself thinking that it had better come up with a good payoff. It does, in fact it has one of the most visually interesting final scenes of any movie of it’s type, and the answer to the question “what’s with this kid?” is pretty original, if not totally convincing. Recommended, even though a lot of things remain unexplained at the end.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: