Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-27-2016 09:14 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTAATION: Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: One and one half stars (out of four)

What's THIS? The outside ticket window is OPEN? It's been YEARS since I've seen it staffed, day or night. There's also two concession lines open and rhe snake line posts are out at the ticket taker. And when I was leaving, they had the satellite cncession stand open. WOW.

THE PLOT: Martha Kent is kidnapped. Wackiness ensues.

Martha Kent getting kidnapped actually happens about two-thirds through the movie. Everything prior to that is a slow and boring, soul-crushing, no-fun-to-watch building of political tension between Batman and Superman that is supposed to lead to the big fight, which lasts about five minutes and is completely fucking stupid and pointless and there's still a whole bunch of movie after it where Wonder Woman shows up for no reason and hints are made towards the existence of Aquaman, Shazam, and...I don't know...maybe the governor of Colorado?

Superhero movies are supposed to be fun to watch, and the only thing fun here for the first two thirds is Lawrence Fishburne's character. The only laugh moments (there are two) happen towards the end. What DC and Warner need to do is let the people behind The Flash and Arrow handle the movies. Those are two of the best shows on television right now. They know how to perfectly balance action, drama, and humor.

They know how to make something fun to watch .

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Studio Movie Grill Royal Lane, Dallas, TX
70MM with DTS (Datasat) Digital Sound

Presentation was of course SPECTACULAR. 70MM just trounces 2K in your average multiplex. And that's what you'll get if you see it anywhere because the DCP is 2K. Thank you WB for making prints. DTS sound was spot on. The finely tuned room helps.

Now for the movie itself...

Some will love it. Others will hate it. I rather enjoyed it. I walked out happy, which is a good sign. I won't spoil anything but I liked how they handled the dichotomy between the two heroes. Could it have been better? Yes. But in the pantheon of Batman and Superman films, it stands as a good one. It's not Batman and Robin and it's not the Dark Knight but it's good.

I enjoyed it much more than the Avengers films, but I am a big Batman fan.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2016 10:20 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere inside this 2 hour and 30 minute so-so movie is a 1 hour and 55 minute really good movie. Somebody somewhere will come out with a "Phantom Edit".

Way too many dream sequences none of which seem necessary in fact, I believe they were only in the movie so that they could then be cut into the trailers to keep an Internet buzz. So that is kind of a cheap manipulation in my book. Anyway, overall I did enjoy it but am waiting for Civil War to blow this out of the water...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2016 11:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to say, I'm not all that jazzed about Civil War either. Superheroes fighting each other is the hot new trend? And now the studios are juicing the movies by having unexpected cross-studio superheroes show up in them, but ruining those surprises by putting them in the trailers. All the while churning out these cookie-cutter, "edgy," dark, multiple-subplot stories that you forget about as soon as you walk out of the theater.

Egads, I miss the '70s with the cheesy Superman movies that were self-contained stories and had happy endings without cliffhangers.

Oh well - guess I'll shut up on this till I see the movie at hand.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2016 12:46 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with the Warner Bros banking all they got at this chaotic DC mash up, you'd think somewhere in all of this would be a decent script? Well, sadly no, there isn't. Batman v Superman is an all-around disappointment, from it's mess of a script, poor directing, and most importantly, a lacking story. The story should be simple; Batman (Ben Affleck) thinks Superman (Henry Cavill) is bad, Superman thinks Batman is bad, they are set up into fighting each other. While that's there, it's cluttered by many unfortunate faults. Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luther was goddamn annoying, and it just became enough with the whole "let me rephrase this old statement" crap. His chemistry with the senator (Holly Hunter) also felt rather strange. Doomsday was another huge disappointment, as he basically becomes your average one-dimensional CGI monster who looks like he belongs in a Godzilla movie instead. Wonder Woman, while I liked Gal Gadot's performance, just felt a bit forced at times and she only added to all the craziness when it came down to the final battle.
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

With that all said, I did like a couple things about the film. Ben Affleck's Batman was pretty decent, and with some better material to work with (and hopefully a solo movie), I believe he can pull off the character on his own terms. Henry Cavill's Superman was decent enough, but I didn't like his performance as much as I did in Man of Steel. Amy Adams also tried her best as Lois Lane with what's there, but I wish she had more to do towards the end. Jeremy Irons' Alfred was also pretty good, no Michael Caine, but still enjoyable. I also liked Batman's "Knightmare" sequence.

Superman's encounter with ghost Kevin Costner was also not that bad. Overall, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is not what it should of been. It lacked a solid script, featured a director with way too much control, rarely felt like an "entertaining" movie, and just had lots of annoying and unnecessary characters and situations in it to make you feel the dark and realistic feeling that the movie was trying to go for. Not to forget, but the ending was also ridiculous. I'm hoping this new DC movie universe will improve over time, but as of right now, I'm not enjoying what it has delivered.
Film: 1 and a half out of 4 stars
Presentation: 2 out of 4 stars (saw it in IMAX 3D, and the 3D looked off at multiple spots during the movie, there was an annoying glare on the screen that looked duplicated with the 3D. I'm curious if this was just my theater or if others are experiencing this problem as well? Otherwise, good sound mix, especially during that climatic battle.)

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2016 12:51 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Esquire IMAX Theatre, Sacramento

2K digIMAX 3D

digIMAX nXos 5.1 sound with speakers here, here, here, here, and here. And the subwoofer's here (stole that from the old audio preshow at this theater)

I enjoyed this sequel to Suckerpunch. I wouldn't consider it popcorn fare like the Marvel films, having very dark and violent tone and I question any parent that brings a child under 10 to the theater to watch it. Keep them at home watching Supergirl instead. They'll grow up thinking the world's a wonderful place, unlike the San Francisco and Oakland - I mean Metropolis and Gotham - portrayed in this film.

I noticed two scenes filmed with IMAX cameras where the image enlarged and the picture became clearer - both action scenes. Very long action scenes. If Zak Snyder would realize that he's not Christopher Nolan and cut all of his post-Watchman films by an hour, the pace would be much more tolerable.

WonderWoman's reveal was the highlight of the film. Interpret that as you will. I felt Affleck has solidified his place as one of the top three on-screen Batmen, but unfortunately, I have to place him at the bottom of the list for portraying Bruce Wayne. Comic fans will enjoy that at least two (I personally noted two) pivotal comic story lines from the Superman and Batman franchises were integrated into the film.

I really started enjoying this film much more than I should have once I realized that Lex Luthor's appearance is one long homage to Alex, Malcom McDowell's character in A Clockwork Orange - completed through the selection of camera speed and angles, music, costume, props, and even dialogue.

The cherry on top for this screening was when the woman next to me, who turned out to be a counselor at a drug rehab clinic, exclaimed "The Flash looks just like a junkie!"

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-28-2016 02:02 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all of the bashing this movie has gotten for at least a year, I went in to this not really expecting much of anything from it except maybe some loud explosions and cool looking effects. Maybe that's why I was a little surprised to see that --- I actually kind of liked it. I didn't think it was anywhere near awesome. But it was certainly good. It had some flaws though. So let's discuss those.

The seizure cam really gets on my freakin' nerves. Especially when there is no reason for it at all. It doesn't help tell the story. It stops me from seeing the story that's being told. It's a distraction, for many probably a subliminal distraction, but a distraction none the less. I really wish Hollywood would cut it out. I feel like some day film historians will look back on this period and shake their head at how much decent story telling was completely blown by this stupid technique. I can hear the guy on Turner Classics now, "While this move does suffer from that horribly misguided fad from early 21st century film making of shaking the camera around to make you feel uneasy, it is still pretty watchable. So if it gets too intense, just squint at the screen and enjoy - Batman vs. Superman, Dawn of Justice on TMC." Someone Turner, Jr. may even try to remove the shakes at a later date. But I'm certain it will be frowned upon by later generations as a terrible film making trend that never should have happened.

Another thing that bothered me was the fake 3D looked horrible in some scenes. Several scenes had backgrounds that literally looked like view-master style images or cardboard cutouts or something. This is something else that pisses me off about Hollywood. Let me ask a question here. Seriously... is it really all that much more difficult to just shoot both eyes at the same time rather then spend a huge amount of money for someone to try to create the second eye out of thin air? Seriously. What the hell? Some converted 3D looks ok. But all of it looks converted. Just shoot in 3D for fucks sake. It's like shooting in black and white and colorizing later. Stupid stupid stupid. They were pretty good at it by the end of the 3D run in the 50s. With a 250 million dollar budget why can't you clowns figure it out? Sorry. If you want to do it, do it and do it right.

Next, the action scenes. Ugh, the action scenes. First of all, can we stop with destroying an entire city in every movie? It's old already. I'm not saying you can't blow stuff up. Everyone likes a good explosion and a building coming down. But for crying out loud. Enough with taking out the whole damn city every time. Avengers is guilty of this too. I get it. I'm just tired of it. It's not interesting anymore. Do something else please. It's like you keep trying to outdo each other by destroying a bigger and bigger city - or more of a city. You've become a parody of yourself. Secondly on the action scenes - back the hell up! If the frame is just all white and red for three seconds - you're probably too close. I can't tell what the hell is going on. Also if you're in IMAX and/or 3D - you have to tone down "being in the middle of the action" a little bit. It's not impressive if I can't make it out. I don't feel like I'm in the middle of anything if I can't see it. That to me is a failure in story telling.

Technical failings aside, I actually did like the story and (for the most part) enjoy the movie. I wouldn't pay to see it again in a theater unless I see it in 70mm (I'll be in London for a week starting Tuesday, so maybe!) But if it were on TV I'd watch it.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-28-2016 04:38 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You pour in some USD 250M and all you get is something that could best be described as follows: Well, it could've been worse.

So, let's focus on the technical parts:

1. Fix your goddamn 3D you amateurs. I'm not sure what you did here, but it's screwed. Why even release it in 3D if you cannot get it right?

2. What's the point of wasting 70mm stock if your cameramen use the grainiest stock available for large parts of your film and ask a bunch of Parkinson patients to operate the cameras? Is it only to feed the ego of the director and producers?

3. It's great to know this is a Dolby Vision release, boasting more colors. Makes sense... Since it was shot in the most desaturated colors known to men. Why not shoot The Justice League Episode I, Season 1, Part One in Black and White already?

By the way Zack, why didn't you call Peter Jackson when that Orkish Troll thing escaped from the Middle Earth set and somehow landed on yours?

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
What's the point of wasting 70mm stock if your cameramen use the grainiest stock available for large parts of your film and ask a bunch of Parkinson patients to operate the cameras? Is it only to feed the ego of the director and producers?
I did make the effort to go out and see this in 5/70mm today and I was thinking the same. The grain would shift from pretty large and noticeable to minimal and hard to notice. I later read that the flashback to Bruce's parents' death was shot in 15/70. I couldn't tell because I wasn't seeing it in IMAX, yet I could see that flashback was grainy as a stylistic choice. To compare, Interstellar's 35mm scenes had much more finer grain blown up to 5/70, but it was softer (also I saw Interstellar at the late Ziegfeld theater, which had a bigger screen).

The least grainy and clearest scenes in BvS were one of the many dream sequences and the titular battle, which I assume are shot in 15/70. Then there was a shot during the latter of Henry Cavill which was so eerily clean it felt out of place in a grainfest and looked too processed to me, namely on his face.

I assume the 70mm prints were recorded from a 4K digital intermediate. Didn't see any obvious digital artifice like I did for The Muppets (2011) in 35mm, but hey the DCP is 2K and this may be the closest we get to a 4K screening. BvS benefited superior contrast from the 70mm print than any xenon digital screening I've seen.

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2016 09:05 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema: Cinemark Tinseltown USA & IMAX
Auditorium: IMAX
Presentation: Digital IMAX 2K 3D
Presentation Problems: None
Rating: 2/5

A dreary, angry movie which mashes two of our most famous comic book characters together as if they're Hot Wheels cars. Tons of issues, in terms of pacing and plot development, but it isn't as bad as Man of Steel. It just tried to put too much on its plate, opening tons of plot threads, and then resolving like two of them. The battle between our two heroes feels forced, and uncomfortable, because instead of exploring the tensions between Batman and Superman, we instead focus on setting up the Justice League movies in the most forced way. A missed opportunity if there ever was one, oh well.

I went and saw this on the same day that my American Cinematographer issue showed up, that covered the film's production. Bizarrely, they scanned the 35mm negative at 2K, and the IMAX and standard 65mm negative at 8K, for a final Digital Intermediate of 4K. This might explain some weird grain issues, and whatnot, with the upscaling of certain sources.

I nearly swore off IMAX digital after poor presentations of Crimson Peak and Star Wars: Episode 7, but I was surprisingly pleased with Batman v Superman in IMAX. The 3D was worthless, as they shot anamorphic for the majority of the feature, but there was some alright detail in the image for how close we all sat to the 2K image. The IMAX 15/70 scenes, presented in 1.90:1, were by far some of the best looking I've seen in digital 2K. That being said, there were only 4 scenes in the entire film presented that way, which is a pretty huge disappointment. Oh well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2016 10:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the deal with all the desaturated colors in action movies today? All the engineers who worked so hard to make it possible to have realistic colors in photographic imagery (not to mention the Steadicam) must spin in their graves when they see some of the crap that passes for cinematography these days.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-29-2016 03:25 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to look into the collective heads of those who are involved. But I'm rather sure it's a bit of a mixed grill with many menu options. Those below are just the starters:

- It's hip and cool to be desaturated. Or: all those other guys are doing it, it must be great, right?
- A dark looking movie conveys a certain level of maturity and seriousness. This certainly isn't just your PG-rated comic book adaptation anymore.
- Technicolor charges more for bits with higher numbers.
- The special effects department charges less to paste a dark grey foreground onto a dark brown background, compared to a full-res high octane colorfest, where every misguided digital matte hackjob will take center stage.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2016 07:37 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, you just reminded me of an egregious shot from this movie when

that reminded me of an old matte painting effect from a late-80s/early-90s movie.

For anyone who saw this movie like the rest of the world did (2K), did the VFX/CGI stand out just as bad as my 70mm experience, stand out worse, or was it not that noticeable due to the 2K resolution?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-01-2016 01:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget this deleted scene

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2016 10:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at Batman on the poster we have in the lobby..... how can he even move in that suit? Is Batman animated most of the time? That'll probably be the case soon -- our cartoon superheroes will come full circle and be cartoons again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: