Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Deadpool (2016)

Author Topic: Deadpool (2016)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-12-2016 09:34 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Altoona and XD, Altoona, IA
AUDITORIUM: 9
PRESENTATION: Cinemark by Barco 4k
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Sound was GODAWFUL
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Whoever set up the sound here did a seriously fucked up job. The center channel is noticeably lower than the other channels and doesn't even sound timbre matched. The rest of the channels were overly bright sounding and the low end was lacking. Really disappointing.

THE PLOT: Rich Corinthian Leather. Wackiness ensues.

This is an R-rated feature, right? Because the kid sitting next to me couldn't be more than six years old. And this is one raunchy juvenile humor movie full of sex and masturbation jokes. there's also the occasional and often funny action sequences and lots of fourth wall jokes.

You may be embarrassed at some of the things you laugh at. It's a pretty wild ride and a shit ton of fun.

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Amc Barrywoods 24 Kansas City MO, Dolby Cinema@AMC Prime)

Picture image was fantastic coming from the laser projectors. I'm digging AMC's new intro snipes. They must be 4k, they look great.

I laughed so much I was in pain. Great movie to see in a sold out crowd.

THANK YOU DEADPOOL FOR TELLING THE SLOBS TO PICK UP THEIR TRASH.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-13-2016 09:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone from being completely unaware of this movie (in January I saw the title and thought it sounded like a horror movie) to being quite anxious to see it. We're getting a LOT of requests for it but the studio wasn't taking very many small-town bookings on the break. Probably will play here the 26th, if we can get it for one week.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2016 11:42 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was the same way Mike. I hadn't ever heard of the character or the movie until December. Before long I was very excited to see it.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2016 12:46 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you've seen the marketing, you pretty much know this is not you're typical superhero movie. Deadpool, as a movie, is wild, crazy, fun, gruesome, raunchy, and just fantastic. The character of Wade Wilson works on so many levels, from the over-the-top backstory, to the insane, forth wall breaking wisecracker. The action is crazy (and surprisingly well-done for a movie made for around $50 million!), and most jokes actually land pretty well. It felt to me like The Mask if it took place in the 21st century and was given an R-rating, because Deadpool is pretty much just as, if not more so, cartoony. I loved how they brought the X-Men but without having you think it takes place in the universe (with the exceptions of a couple of key scenes). The Colossus character was pretty cool (and certainly more memorable than his appearances in the X-Men films for sure), and his apprentice, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, also gets some pretty good moments as well. On the acting front, I'm now convinced that no one else but Ryan Reynolds can play the Deadpool/Wade Wilson character. It felt like the role was built for him. In supporting front, T.J. Miller and Leslie Uggams as Weasel and Blind Al were both great and I wish they got more screentime, but I guess that's for the sequel. Morena Baccarin was also pretty good as Wade's girlfriend and as for the main villain, Ajax, Ed Skrein did a good job even if it wasn't the most memorable performance from the movie, but I really liked the running gag with his actual name. Overall, just from the opening credits, Deadpool is one hell of a ride, and it's definitely the most entertaining superhero movie I've seen in a long time. Hopefully the next one is given a bigger budget for more insane action! [Wink]
Oh and the post-credit scene was brilliant. Specially if you're a Ferris Bueller fan.
Film: 3 and a half out of 4 stars
Presentation: 3 and a half out of 4 stars (Saw it in standard IMAX, picture quality was top-notch, but sound was a little bit off-centered and there were noticeable echoes during scenes with just dialogue)

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-25-2016 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was ok. I enjoyed it. I don't understand how some people (in my circles, not necessarily here on FT) are saying it's the greatest movie ever. To me it was good. The fourth wall jokes were funny. But I felt a lot of the good stuff was in the trailers, which is a disappointment.

On a five star scale I'd give it at 3. Maybe 3 and a half.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-07-2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Russell
Oh and the post-credit scene was brilliant. Specially if you're a Ferris Bueller fan.
I don't really get the Ferris Bueller connection, but it does contain the best movie line of 2016 so far:

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

They ought to make a Deadpool policy trailer.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2016 05:28 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't really get the Ferris Bueller connection
It was basically a parody of the post-credit scene from that movie.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2016 11:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got a chance to watch Deadpool the other night. I would say it's my favorite Marvel movie since the first Avengers. It had a discernible plot, unlike some of these movies, and the language somehow seemed appropriate. I would think Spider-Man or Batman would want to let out a good FUCK! every now and then but they can't without ruining their image (and their rating).

The violence wasn't quite as over-the-top as I expected -- the cuts are so quick that it wasn't quite as gruesome as I thought it was going to be. The action scenes were completely ridiculous as has come to be the norm for these movies, so that you never really come to care about the characters, since you know they're all indestructible anyway (well unless the plot calls for them to die). I got a kick out of Deadpool going "Ow! Ow! Ow!" when he was getting his head bashed around.

I had totally forgotten about that ending scene in Ferris Beuller, and even after I watched the link above I still hadn't put together the fact that

because I hadn't watched Deadpool yet, I'd only heard the sound. So I cracked up pretty good when I finally saw it.

Too bad there weren't more nude scenes with Deadpool's girlfriend. I think Ryan Reynolds' butt had more onscreen time, but then he's the lead, so that's probably the reason.

Overall I liked it a lot, with maybe a point deducted for how unrealistic it was. I mean, I know these movies aren't supposed to be documentaries but they could stand to dial down the cartoonishness of them a few notches -- like the Star Wars movie did.

I thought the sound mix was excellent, and the choices of cheesy music were quite hilarious. So bring on Deadpool 2!

3 out of 5 stars.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2016 03:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when I saw this, there was a father and his nine year old kid - what the hell? the funniest bit was when the sex scene showed up, he's like "don't look" [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: