Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Finest Hours 2D Version (2016)

Author Topic: The Finest Hours 2D Version (2016)
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2016 01:21 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Rockaway Townsquare Mall, Rockaway NJ
Auditorium 9

PICTURE: Noticeably not bright enough, they did not remove the polarizer from in front of the lens. Other than that, it looked good.

SOUND: Not ATMOS, but it sounded very good.

STORY: Based upon the true story of an oil tanker that broke in half during a winter storm off Chatham MA in 1952. The film follows the efforts of the surviving crew to keep the rear section of the ship afloat long enough to be rescued, and the heroic effort that a single tiny coast guard ship and crew made to find them and bring them back to safety.

From the advertising, I was expecting Perfect Storm 2, but this is a very different story, and a very entertaining film.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 03:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie but it was kind of hard to understand some of the dialog, what with all the wind and rain effects. Maybe that was intentional. The sound mix was good otherwise though.

Some of the boat-related scenes were beyond ridiculous. You CANNOT drive a small boat right into the front of a huge wave, going completely underwater, and then just pop out the back side. This is shown at least twice in the movie. You also can't drive your boat up a similar wave vertically and then have it magically plop back into the water going forward. If it goes that vertical, it is probably tipping over backward. Further proof that just because you CAN do things with CGI doesn't mean you should.

I don't really know why they made this in 3-D. Any movie that takes place primarily at night should never be 3-D. The audience for this type of movie really has almost zero interest in 3-D anyway. I got the feeling this was greenlighted when 3-D was still a huge thing and they just stuck with it, or else maybe the director wanted it. Regardless, we showed it in 2-D only and as yet we haven't had one person asking about 3-D.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2016 07:39 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was bewildered when I found out it was 3D. I didn't even know it was until a customer asked for it while buying tickets. I almost turned them away, because it was on the second page and I just didn't think it was. My first thought was "Why the fuck is that movie 3D???"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: