Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hateful 8 (2015) 70mm Version (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hateful 8 (2015) 70mm Version
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2015 09:50 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. Probably Quentin's best film, although Kill Bill is still my favorite.

AMC Garden State Plaza - Paramus NJ - 70mm

Presentation:

• Only masked on 3 sides (top/right/left). Bottom 1/4 of the screen was empty.
  • Picture a hair soft, most noticeable on the credits and chapter cards.
  • Very brief green emulsion scratch, I suspect from the build up as it was run on platters.
  • No other issues with the print or the presentation.
Content:
  • 4½ stars out of 5.
  • Great Ennio Morricone score.
  • 8 people are stranded in a snow storm. Violence ensues.
  • I'm shocked! Yes, shocked, that there would be violence in a Tarantino film.
While I definitely enjoyed the show, I felt the presentation did not do justice to the work that went into making and presenting it in 70mm. Specifically, going from the razor sharp digital pre-show that filled the entire screen to a less than sharp "letterboxed" image that left the bottom 1/4 of the screen empty, with less than razor sharp focus was not impressive. To be fair, I have seen worse film presentations over the years at some "prestige" New York City venues. My feeling is that for those venues that were not prepared to do it right, they should not have done it at all.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2015 10:21 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Runing ads and preshow is a violation of the contract with TWC.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2015 11:21 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Runing ads and preshow is a violation of the contract with TWC. "
Interesting.
I knew we weren't running trailers, but didn't know about the preshow. I was wondering why the NCM didn't come on. Not that I missed it!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2015 02:17 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They ran their normal "First Look" pre show.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Running preshow. Hardly what I would call roadshow.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-25-2015 04:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. All the Road Shows that I have been to such as BEN-HUR, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, MY FAIR LADY, and so many others were class acts. All our road show theatres had curtains and it remained closed and the no music was played until the picture began with the overture. The curtain remain closed until the picture was projected on to it wile it slowly opened.

-Claude

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes- - no pre-show according to my instructions.
The multiplexpeople had programmed one, but I got rid of it.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2015 06:21 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if printed programs are for the first day only or for the full week or two weeks?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2015 07:51 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at the first public showing on Christmas Eve and their were no programs. Are you saying that I got cheated?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think so! [Frown]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-26-2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While there are MANY factors here (lens focal length, anamorphic attachment and if your anamorhpic is reverse or standard)...focus can be VERY touchy on this one. I set up one theatre with 130mm prime lenses with reverse anamorphics...The sweat spot is minuscule but findable. One also has to factor in the lens(es) heating up, possibly.

My other observation during a run-through is that the focus of the movie varies based on the taking lens a bit. Medium shots looked the softest and close ups were VERY sharp (note, I was judging from the FRONT row and looking for defects).

I also set up the theatre's DCP of the Roadshow version (since it is 2.76:1 and the theatre in question has 3-way masking (sides and top), a separate lens setting was needed so the lens would shift down to keep it centered). If you were to compare the DCP to the 70mm print...you'd be amazed at the contrast difference between the two (both at the proper light level too). You'd take the 70mm picture every time. The cinematography was very well done on this one and I was amazed at how well the close-ups were done...normally on Scope movies, close ups are awkward since there is so much dead screen...I didn't get that sense at all on this one.

If one likes QT movies, they will like this one. If they don't like QT movies, this one isn't likely to bring them into the fold. I'm not really big into westerns.

For me, my ranking of QT movies are:

1) Pulp Fiction
2) Inglorious Basterds
3) Django Unchained
4) Hateful Eight

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine it is while the supply lasts on the printed programs.

Interestingly the New Mission Alamo Drafthouse which is not showing it in 70mm and opening 12/31 is giving out 70mm frames of the film. An exclusive they claim.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-26-2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's like Official Souvenir of 'insert vacation spot' with "made in China" printed on the bottom.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2015 12:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it tonight and, somewhat surprinsgly, I liked it. With a few exceptions, I am not a big fan of westerns, and QT is hit-or-miss for me. That said, H8 worked well as entertainment, and there are some scenes that I would like to watch again. The crowd was into it and that helped the experience as well.

The craftsmanship on this film is pretty amazing--every department (from hair and makeup to art direction to camera to location sound) did an outstanding job. The only area in which it really fell down for me was editing--the first half could have been tightened considerably, and it would have made a better two-hour film.

I really don't think that this film was crying out for UP70, though. Of all the films that I would have liked to have seen in the large/wide format, this really isn't one of them. It would have worked very well in 35mm scope. I am not complaining, nor am I suggesting that 70mm hurt the film in any way. My point is that many other films need the 70mm treatment more than this one. I do love the "roadshow" idea, but this wasn't the best film to pick to re-introduce it. Maybe someone else will try it with a more appropriate picture.

I saw it at the Somerville Theatre (disclaimer: I work there, occasionally) and the print was in mint condition. It looked and sounded great, with proper masking and use of curtains. They are using the Hyperion lenses in reverse-anamorphic configuration and had zero focus issues. The manager introduced the screening, and programs were available in the lobby.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2015 12:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

I've seen this thing a few times now doing setup checks and screenings. I enjoyed it very much, but as with all Tarantino movies, I like it more and more with each viewing. Even just running the prints and watching scenes here and there to keep an eye on the presentations, my appreciation and admiration for Tarantino's style and genius continues to escalate.

While I agree this movie didn't need to be shot in UP70, I am glad it was. Tarantino has now proven that even a super wide aspect ratio of 2.76:1 doesn't have to be all about "dead space" on screen because of it's width, and this was the perfect movie to prove that point since most of it takes place in one room. I found myself very much drawn into the movie with the wider ratio and his excellent use of camera angles and composition.

Audio quality of course varied from site to site as expected, but I can tell the sound mix was well done, even if some of the sound systems along the way were not quite tuned to perfection.

On picture quality, it is simply phenomenal. It's not just the super sharpness of it, but everything related to the image (lighting, colors and super black blacks). This truly is a movie people NEED to run out to the theater and experience at least once on 70mm film. No bluray or digital projection will achieve this level of quality. Sure the general consensus is that "people these days don't care", but I'll tell you something...they do if you SHOW them! Case in point I recently introduced 70mm to a few college age kids and they were blown away. They couldn't explain WHY they liked it so much, but they wanted more.

But as far as the movie goes, I'm not sure which Tarantino movie I like the best, but it's definitely up there at the top.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: