Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Star Wars The Force Awakens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Star Wars The Force Awakens
Rick Cohen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Rick Cohen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler-Free Review!

It was very good. I will going out on a limb here and predict that Star Wars will be the number one movie at the box office this weekend.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2015 02:05 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My ranking of all of the Star Wars movies:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back
2 - A New Hope
3 - The Force Awakens
4 - Return of the Jedi

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2015 03:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first hour last night and then did bookwork while the last hour played. Suffice to say there are some pretty good surprises, and BB-8 is a hoot. I'm waiting to watch the last half until this weekend with some friends. But so far, very impressed - they did well. I just hope it doesn't have a silly cliffhanger ending.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-17-2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I read, it does have a Cliff hanger ending but I have no problem with that.

-Claude

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2015 09:13 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not really a cliff hanger ending. As you watch the film, the ending is precisely what you expect it to be

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2015 09:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else find an amusing point to be made with this post? [Wink]

quote: Mike Schulz
My ranking of all of the Star Wars movies:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back
2 - A New Hope
3 - The Force Awakens
4 - Return of the Jedi

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2015 11:23 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from seeing it but I'll do a quick review. [Razz] It's certainly better than the prequels. The performances are outstanding, specially Harrison Ford and Daisy Ridley. Action is great and story is fun, and Kylo Ren was very powerful, both in action and emotion, as a villain. Flaws are not enough focus on backstory for certain characters, and the ending was not very surprising. Some characters had very limited screen time (people who have seen it will know). Overall, the film was a welcomed return to form for Star Wars and I can't wait to see how the future of the Star Wars universe expands on it.
Film: 3 and a half out of 4 stars
Presentation: 3 out of 4 stars (saw it in Cinemark XD, and will get around to seeing it in IMAX, but the screen looked dirty and was noticeable during any bright scene, but the sound was terrific and audience was energetic so it was a very enjoyable experience, and no crying babies!)

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 12:41 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(No Spoilers) I liked it a lot and I'm eager to see it again. It's a worth follow-up to Return of the Jedi and a great hand-off to a new generation.

Rey is great. Poe and Finn are cool. Really liked Kylo Ren's backstory. Liked his tantrums. Liked the basement visions. Lots of exciting action. Saber fight is great fun, though Cloud City is still tops. Excited to see where they take things with VIII.

The movie had a lot of backstory - a lot of stuff happened since RotJ, which is great. Prequels had almost zero sense of what came before.

I would have liked a stronger sense of how the First Order came to be and what they were all about. They were sorta just there. But this might be addressed in future films, especially if they do more with Caesar. I did like how the First Order was vicious and threatening.

Another plus - I only noticed two minor callbacks to the prequels, dialog references to the "Sith" and "clonetroopers."

I had a real tough time with Brienne of Tarth doing what she did at gunpoint. It was not believable unless there is more to her than we are led to believe. And there *were* hints that there may be more to her. She has been confirmed for VIII, so fingers crossed.

Biggest gripes:
- Disappointed by the music. None of the new stuff was very memorable.
- A few lines of dialog here and there were a hair too campy for my taste.
- At least one plot point felt too coincidental.

While it wasn't as good as Star Wars or Empire, I'd have to say that all in all, it's a better movie than Return of the Jedi, the weakest Star Wars movie, BUT it was never as emotionally engaging as the last act of RotJ.

Harkins Northfield Cine Capri - Terrific Presentation

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-18-2015 12:15 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed The Force Awakens. The visuals were amazing, and I thought the new characters were great - especially Rey. Although the story did have many similarities to A New Hope, I didn't feel like it was a retread. In many ways this movie felt like a respectful homage to the original trilogy, while also setting it up to stand alone with the movies still to come.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-18-2015 12:40 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
Prequels had almost zero sense of what came before.
Did you seriously just say that?

Rick Cohen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 01:19 PM      Profile for Rick Cohen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a "prequel?"

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 01:30 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was my impression. I had very little sense of what lead up to The Phantom Menace.

Where did Obi-Wan come from? Where did Darth Maul come from? Why was the Trade Federation blockading Naboo? How did Palpatine and Amidala rise to their positions?

The few hints provided were pretty vague ("Do not defy the council, Master, not again.") Huh? What's that about?

Oh, there was something about Jar-Jar being banished by his people for being clumsy.

But maybe I missed something? Admittedly, it's been a long time. I'm trying to forget them.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the thing is, there is a whole galaxy, and galactic history of stuff before Phantom menace - where would they start?

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 06:56 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gavin Lewarne
Well, the thing is, there is a whole galaxy, and galactic history of stuff before Phantom menace - where would they start?

Star Wars had a whole galaxy and galactic history of stuff before it, but it found some places to start:
  • We learned Darth Vader was a pupil of Obi-Wan's and a Jedi Knight before turning to evil.
  • We learned that Luke was a good pilot like his father, who was once a Jedi Knight.
  • We learned that for over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the Empire.
  • We learned that Obi-Wan served Leia's father during something called "the Clone Wars."
  • We learned that Han was a smuggler who sometimes got boarded and had to dump his cargo and that he owed a lot of money to a gangster. He prized his ship and modified it beyond its original configuration.
  • We learned that Luke's friends left to go join an academy, leaving him feeling trapped and isolated.
  • Etc.
All of those details could have been left out and the narrative still would have worked, but those details brought the story to life and motivated the characters.
Again, where did Maul come from? Qui-Gon? How did Obi-Wan become a Padawan?How did the Jedi council get formed? What was the background of the Trade Federation's dispute with Naboo? My view is that the prequels were lacking in backstory.

But (happily) I felt that The Force Awakens established interesting hints of events that occurred over the past 30 years.

Tom Hayes
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2015 10:11 PM      Profile for Tom Hayes   Email Tom Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this at 11:00am in theatre 10 of the Arclight in Hollywood.

Something was wrong with the presentation - faces and bodies were too wide. I think they may have used the wrong lens or had some settings incorrectly entered.

Anyway, loved the film. I don't feel its as derivative as some are making out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: