Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Creed (2015)

Author Topic: Creed (2015)
Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2015 08:05 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After six chapters of perhaps the most legendary boxer to ever hit screens, Rocky Balboa moves from underdog fighter to wise old trainer. But Rocky isn't the greatest thing about Creed, it's the titular character Adonis Johnson Creed, played by Michael B. Jordan in a clear breakout role. Showing off the strength and power of his father, Apollo Creed, as well as the personality and knowledge of Balboa, Adonis (or Donny) is one of the best protagonists to hit screens in a long time. Creed, on the outside, has a modern, hip feeling of the 21st century but on the inside is a nostalgic, almost retro tone like the Rocky movies. The opponent in the film, Conlan, isn't as threatening or memorable as Drago or Clubber Lang, but he manages to have a big enough impact to the story and to Adonis. Stallone pretty much nails his task as the coach instead of the champion, and there's a very heartfelt plot twist that further expands Rocky's character at this age. Also in a great supporting role is Tessa Thompson as Adonis' girlfriend Bianca, who doesn't come off as yet another love interest and has an interesting personality (as well as a smart touch to her appearance). Even in a minor role, Phylicia Rashad's Mary Anne Creed (Apollo's wife) is a very nice role model and mother figure for Adonis. The film itself is a bit too long but has a fast enough pace that it shouldn't even bother most people. Overall, Creed could of been a disaster, but props to Ryan Coogler and Sylvester Stallone for making Creed one of the franchise's strongest films yet.
Film: 3 and a half out of 4 stars
Presentation: 4 out of 4 stars (saw it an Arclight, I hate their reserved seating setup and it is a bit pricy, but the auditorium was flawless, so it was worth it despite the higher price)

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-03-2015 05:10 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: What's that noise? OH MY GOD! The screen masking is WIDENING! WHAT SORT OF SORCERY IS THIS
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Somebody tacked NFC readers on to the Megaplex Automated Touch-Screen Ticketpoopers. Wonder if Apple Pay works.

*tries*

Yes. Yes it does. Though they still make you enter your ZIP code. Goobers.

THE PLOT: That dang kid is always getting into fights. Wackiness ensues.

The first big boxing match scene in Philadelphia had some really impressive cinematography, possibly doing the whole bout in a real-time single shot. As far as I noticed, anyway.

The rest? Eh. Too much drama and not enough build-up to the big fight. It was kind of like they tacked on a three-minute training montage on the way to England. Then they were at the press conference, then the match.

The thing I kept focusing on was the soundtrack music. I kept thinking back to Rocky IV and how painfully badly outdated that music sounds today. I predict the same for this soundtrack twenty years from now.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2015 06:14 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Sam, was it too much like Tron: Legacy for you? [Razz]

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2015 10:04 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another guilty pleasure = bad 80's "studios won't pay for real music" movie soundtracks. ("Hot Rod" did an admirable spoof of that I thought.)

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-04-2015 08:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Creed. I thought it was a fitting addition to the Rocky franchise. I can see Stallone possibly getting a Supporting Actor nod for is role.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: