Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

Author Topic: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2015 09:57 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this was it. Three years of seeing Jennifer Lawrence rise to the top of her food chain have come to an end. And to be completely honest, it's about damn time. The first two Hunger Games were fun fest, and were very enjoyable to watch with a huge crowd, but as with Mockingjay Part 1, the franchise heads towards a war-theme, and it couldn't be more boring. The first half of Mockingjay Part 2 is essentially Katniss gets hurt, comes back, talks, gets hurt again, side-plot intermission, and then through what feels like a monologue of Maze Runner-esque sequences, we finally get to what this whole franchise has been waiting for...the fall of the empire led by Snow. Now, this isn't a terrible movie, but it certainly lacks the excitement and thrills that the first two had. There's one sort of neat action sequence involving "Mutts" which will remind a lot of people of Alien(s), but besides that, the rest of the movie felt very by-the-books. Some key characters die, but they are not timed well nor shot well enough where you actually feel the emotional reaction. The ending, without giving it away, is pretty ridiculous, even if it is "faithful" to the book, the writing throws it off and it feels just rushed. Of course, some people (specially die-hard fans) will love it, but to me, it just feels unsatisfying. There are some humorous moments and the performances are not bad at all, Lawrence is always strong even though she surprising lacks good chemistry with Josh Hutcherson's Peeta. Donald Sutherland's President Snow is always enjoyable and certainly a pretty good villain. Julianne Moore's President Coin is also not that bad, but she could of had a much larger-presence, specially when compared to her role in Part 1. Overall, Mockingjay Part 2 makes me feel glad this series is over, it's got enjoyable moments for sure, but I felt sort of let down by this final installment, feeling more like Battle of the Five Armies instead of Return of the King.
Film: 1 and a half out of 4 stars
Presentation: 3 out of 4 stars (saw it in 4K digital, quality looked fantastic, but it also looked a little bit too vibrant at times when it shouldn't had been, also sound could of been A LOT louder during some quiet scenes, it was so soft that I could hear some of Love the Coopers playing next door! [Roll Eyes] )

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2015 10:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had forgotten pretty much everything about "Part 1" (and the other HG movies, to be honest) when we sat down to watch this. I do wish film-makers would put a "previously in..." segment in these movies. Just a couple of minutes would do it. Then casual fans like myself wouldn't find themselves feeling like they've jumped in over their heads when the movie starts.

Anyway, I do remember the first one being kind of stretched-out-feeling, and this one has the same effect, especially in the first half. There are countless scenes that are poorly-lit. Some of the action scenes are fun to watch, especially the ones which weren't ruined by the trailers.

The ending felt kind of tacked on and went too long. I guess I'm used to other action movies where after the final "battle" or whatever, there's a quick coda where everyone hugs each other and that's it.

Like so many movies today, it was fairly enjoyable but I have absolutely zero interest in watching it again (or buying it later). However I will enjoy standing in the back of the auditorium for the rest of the run and watching everybody jump when the "mutts" first jump out.

2 out of 5 stars.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2015 10:45 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I do wish film-makers would put a "previously in..." segment in these movies.
I agree with you on this. Kind of like when Rocky movies would open with the end of the previous one. There wasn't nearly as much to know in that series. Sometimes the Marvel movies and even Spectre require watching the earlier ones right before you see the new one to understand everything that is going on.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2015 04:11 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When The Hunger Games was released in 2012, I was not too enamoured with it. It was representative of what I call the "Twilightification" of movies - movies portraying conflict starring harmless pretty teenagers; with their perfectly mussed hair and designer scratches and bruises meticulously applied by the makeup department; their petty teen anxieties dwarfing the larger conflict at hand.

In days past, films like this starred rugged, blood, sweat and guts types like Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Running Man), Sylvester Stallone (Rambo), Rutger Hauer (Wedlock) and, most notably in this case, Takeshi Kitano (Battle Royale). Indeed, the whole teenage cast of Battle Royale were more convincingly unhinged and dangerous than the pretty nubile stars of The Hunger Games who looked like they could never harm anyone.

The sequel, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, predictably followed with the "bigger is better" formula by pitting our hero, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence), with previous Games champions in another sterile death match.

Last year's Mockingjay Pt.1 was met with derision from some Hunger fans claiming nothing happened in it. Actually quite a bit happened in it, it was just mostly devoid of the insipid sci-fi fantasy action faux violence of it's attention seeking siblings; replaced instead with psychological drama and a political narrative which marked a distinct maturation of the franchise. I like it. I liked it a lot.

Now Mockingjay Pt.2 balances the best of both worlds and brings the story to a fitting close. It includes Games-style action for the fans but it's primary focus remains throughout on the story's dramatic core and it's associated political mechanic.

In conclusion, the film ends in a secure finality which admirably hints not a jot at any further installments. It's a film which is comfortable and quietly confident in the story it has told and it is prepared to leave it at that - a rare commodity indeed in today's Hollywood.

8 out of 10

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-01-2015 06:21 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex at Geneva, Vineyard, UT
AUDITORIUM: 8
PRESENTATION: Dolby ATMOS
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

For some reason, Apple Maps thinks you can access this theatre from Geneva Road, but you can't. So it drops southbounders off an exit earlier than it should and sends you breezing by the theatre until you get to the next traffic light. Turn right there and wind your way back through the massive apartment complex under construction until you get to the theatre again. Total detour, about a mile and a half. The correct exit is W Center St (Orem). Head west to the traffic light...the very same traffic light...and breeze straight through. Rent an apartment while you're at it.

The theatre stands alone in what is supposed to be one of those "The Shoppes At..." deals, but there's no sign of other construction going on. Just fields. Oh well, maybe they'll get lots of walk-in traffic from those apartments.

Megaplex is jumping on the recliner bandwagon, but in this case in hybrid style. Two rows are recliners, the rest are standard leather seats. You'll pay $12.25 vs $8.75 for a matinee recliner in this room except Tuesdays when all seats in all auditoriums at all locations are $5 all day. Even at the IMAX houses. As you might imagine, everyone except me took recliners.

THE PLOT: They say you want a revolution? Well, you know, wackiness will ensue.

A lot of people thought Part 1 was slow and boring. Slow? Yes. Boring? Hardly. I have great news for those people...THIS one is slow and boring.

Watch the first ten minutes, take a nap in your premium recliner seat, then wake up for the last twenty minutes. You won't miss a thing.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 09:02 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound in DTS:X was great! Otherwise, not really my kind of movie, but my wife read all the books.

Harold

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2015 09:31 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ yes Harold it was ---- I'm hooked --- now it's just a waiting game to see what next studio will be mixed/released as such.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: