Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Peanuts Movie

Author Topic: The Peanuts Movie
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-20-2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a fan of Peanuts ever since I was a little kid. The Bible reading that Linus does at the end of Charlie Brown's Christmas is the best dramatic moment that I've seen in any animated show, ever.

I've been quite looking forward to seeing The Peanuts Movie.

Now that I've seen it, meh. They just don't have enough of a story to be a complete movie's worth. The main story is Charlie Brown trying to work up the courage to talk to the Red Haired Girl, and a secondary story is Snoopy meeting an imaginary girl dog and then attempting to rescue her from the Red Baron. But both of those stories could be told in fifteen minutes.

There is some cute and clever stuff to be seen -- Snoopy is of course the best character, and watching him break into the school is the best part of the movie.

Overall, though, it didn't live up to what I expected out of a movie about the Peanut gang.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-13-2015 12:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing it right now. I'm mostly seeing the adults (over 40) are loving it, and the little kids are liking it. We're not seeing the teen/young adult crowd at all. Haven't watched it yet but just from listening, I can pretty much tell it's like a Peanuts TV special stretched out to 80 minutes with some "modern" music grafted on.

The Scrat short at the beginning (which I have watched) is completely awful. The worst yet. They are so scraping the bottom of the barrel with this. They should just license some Road Runner shorts from Warners and use them instead, since they are infinitely more clever and funnier than these Scrat toons.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2015 01:06 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We dropped it this week for space reasons, but I had the same type of audience that Mike was talking about. Mostly families and middle age adults came to it and overall sold really well, heck, it even outsold Spectre on somedays. Looking forward to catching it on home video!

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2015 09:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I thought the Atmos mix was pretty pointless and very underutilized - I did think though, that flaw aside, the story and humor were great.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: