Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Intern (2015)

Author Topic: The Intern (2015)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-25-2015 10:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you really can't go wrong with Robert DeNiro and Anne Hathaway with Nancy Meyers directing, even if the results are fairly predictable. It is a by-the-numbers, check-your-brain-at-the-door, feel good romantic/workplace comedy that works. There aren't really many belly laughs, but plenty of smile-and-chuckle moments and a feel-good storyline that leaves the audience smiling.

Most of the credit, I think, has to go to Anne Hathaway, who displays a good range of emotions playing an overworked company founder who's let her job take over her life to the point of alienating her husband. Enter DeNiro, a retired lifelong "company man" who's just longing for something to do, joins Hathaway's company's "senior intern" program and winds up providing a life's worth of wisdom to more than a few of the employees.

DeNiro is a much more pleasant nice-guy type than he usually plays in his movies, and as such he's less believable. But he still does a nice job and makes a bold statement that "just because a person is old doesn't mean his knowledge is expendable." So take that, corporate America.

The supporting cast is excellent too, especially Christina Scherer as Hathaway's over-driven assistant, Becky. I also got a kick out of the fact that most of the male supporting players seemed a little gay, but you weren't quite sure if they were gay, but since they work at a fashion company they probably were, but you never really knew for sure. The filmmakers might have done this on purpose so as to make the characters believable without turning-off the over-40 audience this movie is squarely aimed at.

The way all the various plot threads get tied up neatly and perfectly in the last 15 minutes is maybe a bit too cut and dried, but overall it's a pleasant time at the movies.

Our crowds are loving it, so that makes me like it more. 3 out of 5 stars. (I might have gone 3.5 stars, if not for the relentless Apple product placements, everything from computers to phones to phone ring-tones. It's a good thing the movie wasn't set in the future, otherwise we'd definitely have seen an Apple driverless car in the movie.)

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2015 08:44 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
guess I didn't go into this with much expectations - I thought it was a delightful entertaining film, not great but enjoyable.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2015 09:00 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie surprised me. I liked it quite a bit. I'm not much of a DeNiro fan but seeing him not fill a colossal douche role was quite refreshing.

I, too was a bit unnerved at the quickness of the ending. It just didn't feel right.

Good flick, wouldn't even mind watching it again!

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2015 12:04 AM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up watching this without planning on it. Pretty much predictable and cut and dry. However, its a great movie to go see at the theater on a rainy day, date night, or just want to relax night.

Sometimes these work as I don't need such over excitement every time I go to the movies.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: