Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Goosebumps

Author Topic: Goosebumps
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2015 09:35 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see this on Saturday late afternoon at the Cinemark Century 9 in downtown San Francisco. I enjoyed most of this new film, It was a little slow at the start. Not much 3-D. The best part was Slappy the dummy. The stereo surround mix was very well done. The only problem I had at the cinema I guess now by corporate order from Cinemark they don't close the top or bottom masking on all scope movies. We had to sit thru the whole scope film on a semi small square 3-D screen in Cinema #3 with white screen showing at the top and bottom. They ran the new Steve Jobs movie on both XD screens. What a waste, they needed to keep the second XD cinema for another different movie to run like Bridge. Next time I will see a wide screen scope movie at a AMC theatre in SF,they do use masking on all scope prints they run. The trailers at this Century Cinemark 9 had a big problem with all of them at the top of the picture either flat or scope every time a scene changed the top frame did a flicker for a few seconds. At least when the main Goosebump feature came on It was fine. I told the acting manager about the problem and he said that he'd look into this trailer problem. He is not a fan of the no masking policy now at Cinemark. Complain and maybe they will have It working again. I knew about this no masking at the XD and Imax screens but now they are not using It even though they have it on there smaller and larger screens, how sad showmanship has become at Cinemark.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2015 10:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what completely baffles me is the truly bizarre answer I got when I called over to the Cinemark Fairfax Corner 14 theater regarding their showing of 'Goosebumps' - they are showing it on the their 'Xtreme' sceens (this was a prior Rave theater). Only screen 6 had an Auro system - which 'Goosebumps' is on. The other Xtreme screen (auditorium 9) wasn't upgraded as such til after it's 'Everest' run (better late than never) - they had hoped both systems would be up for 'Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2' (they now are)

... anyhow. So I surmised and stated 'oh, so Goosebumps IS in Auro?' apparently one of the tech guys was standing next to her, she asked, he said no it wasn't - huh? It's on the Auro system, yet the DCP you got wasn't ingested as such into the audio processor? that doesn't make any ---damn sense. I swear at times, I feel like they are completely clueless. The Cinemark Egyptian '24' tech and managers seem more on board.

plan on checking this out with a friend on Tuesday night.. more thoughts forthcoming.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2015 08:18 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
they are showing it on the their 'Xtreme' sceens (this was a prior Rave theater).
Cinemark occasionally makes very odd choices for the Xtreme/XD theaters. The Cinemark XD at Evanston 12/Cine Arts is currently showing Steve Jobs in XD over Goosebumps, which is simply just them trying to cash-cow instead of trying to take true advantage of the auditorium's performance.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-19-2015 09:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
o I surmised and stated 'oh, so Goosebumps IS in Auro?' apparently one of the tech guys was standing next to her, she asked, he said no it wasn't - huh? It's on the Auro system, yet the DCP you got wasn't ingested as such into the audio processor? that doesn't make any ---damn sense. I swear at times, I feel like they are completely clueless. The Cinemark Egyptian '24' tech and managers seem more on board.
Despite the relatively large install base for Auro 11.1 in North America (it's on all of those Cinemark/Century "XD" screens, well over 100 of them) movie studio support for Auro is still pretty bad. Dolby Atmos is still getting better studio support than Auro, even though it seems like there's hardly any new Atmos installations going into theaters in North America. Who knows how DTS-X is going to affect the situation.

BTW, Goosebumps has an Atmos mix. Kind of popped up at the last minute.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: