Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ricki and the Flash

Author Topic: Ricki and the Flash
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2015 05:44 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of respect for Jonathan Demme. He directed one of the all time great concert movies, Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense; and he directed one of the all time great movies of any genre, The Silence of the Lambs. Which begs the question, what on Earth attracted him to Diablo Cody's script for Ricki and the Flash? Indeed, what on Earth attracted silver screen heavy weights, Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline to the project? Clearly it looked much better on paper.

Cody's script about an aging Lita Ford-type rocker who fritters her life away in rock'n'roll while neglecting her responsibility to her three children has little going for it. The story has Ricki making a belated attempt to reconnect with her adult children after her daughter suffers a messy, emotionally damaging divorce. The tension which exists between Ricki and her cynical and sardonic children, and her hard working well-to-do ex-husband and his new wife, is excruciating for the most part. There's just no getting around the obvious fact that Ricki has made this bed for herself and her family rightly hates her for it. Her feeble attempts to make it right are both sad and pathetic and watching her do it is torturous for the audience. A strange mix for a film which presents itself as light weight entertainment.

The one pleasant surprise in the movie is the inclusion of Rick Springfield. It's easy to be cynical about plucking an 80's pop music heartthrob out of nowhere to play an older version of himself. It seems an unabashed attempt to attract a certain demographic to the movie, and it probably is, but the truth is Springfield gives a heart felt, albeit limited, performance - indeed, he is the heart of the movie.

Streep is unimpressive; merely dishing up a stereotypical cliché of her character and it's painful to watch her vaudeville performance. Kevin Kline is Kevin Kline.

Finally the film attempts to lambast us with "feel good" ending but after all we've endured, it stretches credulity to believe that a happy family could be instantly born through the power of music alone.

4 out of 10

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2015 12:08 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this movie at the big Del Mar Theatre in Santa Cruz CA this past week. Looked so great on the wide large downstairs scope screen. I mainly went to see the previews, pre show organ music and the curtain go up and down plus get out of the outside hot heat but I liked the whole film so I stayed till the end. It was much better then I heard. The movie is not all music plus I saw the waterfall curtains close after the credits. You won't find curtains in many theatres these days that work and they close them after the trailers and re open on the main feature with organ fanfare! Check out this movie you may like It.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2015 10:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well it was ten times better than 'Rachel Getting Married' - ugh, I couldn't stand that film. personally I loved the music in this. All in all though, good not great (3 out of 5 stars)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-02-2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the music was OK but I didn't like the sound mix. It didn't seem beefy enough to me and the bass was weak. Maybe I just needed to crank it a little more.

I did think it was kind of cool the way they handled the music during the end credits. They showed the "last song" played live by the band, and then when that ended the music shifted to a different style of music played at a lower volume. The exact same thing happens at the end of most rock concerts.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2015 02:11 PM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't you Mike

I thought the same thing. Needed some more oomph.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: