Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Straight Outta Compton (2015)

Author Topic: Straight Outta Compton (2015)
Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a really powerful biopic this was. I've listened to a couple of NWA/solo Cube and Dre songs, but this movie makes you look at this band on a completely different level. Showing the dark side and some of the light side of Compton in the late 80s-early 90s, it's surprising relatable as it deals with some still present modern issues, such as drug dealers, delinquents, and just in general, people who come from poorer backgrounds. Every character had a personality to each other, and their passions all sort of had that "Boyz in the Hood" feeling to it. I really enjoyed the acting, since a lot of it was coming from new talent. Ice Cube's son, O'Shea Jackson, Jr., really mastered the characteristics and personality of his father, while I was really impressed by Jason Mitchell as Eazy-E, playing a person who had such trouble in his life such as drug-abuse and HIV, but still come off as being very likable. You don't need to know or like NWA to like this movie, it's the story and members that drives the "powerful" meeter to a whole new level. Trust me, this is a movie that will stick with you.

Presentation was pretty good, saw it in a 7.1 auditorium so the audio was pretty strong, but the picture quality and dialogue could of been a lot clearer at some quiet moments. And yes, this is a movie that a lot of teenagers are trying to sneak into, so if your viewing this at a theater you work at like I did, I'd recommend showing it in an auditorium that's close to the entrance of the theater so it'll be harder for them to go into. Specifically at my showing, there were a group of teens who chatted out loud throughout the previews, which I didn't care for the previews, but they were speaking quite loud for a packed auditorium. No other concerns though!
Film: 3 and a half out of 4 stars
Presentation: 3 out of 4 stars

|  IP: Logged

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2015 11:33 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to Regal Perimeter POinte. it was playing in two screens. When I call ahead,I tried to make it as simple as possible and asked give me the auditorium numbers or screen numbers of the two shows and I will decide which one I prefer. The lady said 'hmm, I don't know. both are the same I guess." I tell her that I know for a fact that there is only one truly big auditorium with another one having a decent sized screen too. So she doesn't have to worry about figuring out which is the better screen and just give me the numbers. She still didn't seem to know how to get the info. So she calledher manager who seemed confused why I would insist on knowing. Then she says "8 and 4" . I thanked her and said "well, that's all I was looking for. I am not sure why it took so much effort to get that simple info".

Anyway, back to the movie. The movie was directed well. The guy who played Easy E did a damn good job. Ice Cube's song is a dead ringer for him. The guy who played Dre reminded me a lot more of Denzel, but he did a good job too. The casting was good all over except for Snoop.(It's tough to capture that snoop presence , I guess). They do a good job showing how seemingly incendiary lyrics like Fuck Tha Police came out of experiences depicted in such a way that it makes you understand their frustrations. The only negative thing about the movie is since it was executive produced by Ice Cube and Dre, it whitewashes Dre's multiple slapping incidents early in his career, one involving Dee Barnes, who incidentally had F Gary Gray, the director of his movie, as her cameraman for her cable access show. Even if Dre is supposedly much better behaved with the women, it would have been nice to show that part of his persona early on and how he evolved since then.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: